Nov 13, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
The Daily News calls it “one of the most extensive con jobs in sports history.” Among its alleged victims? Former first overall NHL draft pick Bryan Berard (pictured), as well as other names hockey fans will recognize, like Michael Peca, Jere Lehtinen, Glen Murray and Jozef Stumpel.
The alleged perpetrators, Phil Kenner and Tommy Constantine, have apparently been arrested on a litany of charges, including wire fraud, wire fraud conspiracy, and money laundering conspiracy.
If that’s not enough to convince you to read about it, perhaps this excerpt will:
Kenner and Constantine could face considerable prison time in the sprawling case that stretches from Mexico to Canada and includes bogus real estate transactions and fake investments, forged signatures on lines of credit, death threats and blackmail, much of which centers around the men’s attempts to gain control of a Cabo San Lucas golf resort that is rapidly becoming one of the most acclaimed courses in North America.
The Daily News has a page here that provides a good timeline.
And here’s the FBI’s press release on the indictments.
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 2
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 9
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)