Nov 12, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
“I just want to help my team win every game,” the 20-year-old said today, per the club’s Twitter account. “I love this city and I want to play for this team.”
As mentioned, that flies somewhat in the face of remarks his agent, Igor Larionov, made in an interview with ESPN.
“We’re willing to make a move,” Larionov said. “Any team. That happens and that’s part of life.”
Then again, Yakupov wasn’t entirely acquiescent in his comments today. He wants to play more than the 10 or 11 minutes he’s been logging in recent games, and he thinks he deserves to.
The first overall pick in the 2012 draft, Yakupov has been the subject of intense trade speculation as both he and the Oilers have struggled out of the gate. Suffice to say, his agent’s comments only added to that speculation.
Our take? Even if Larionov was only being realistic — after all, trades do happen in pro sports — he didn’t exactly make Yakupov sound committed to the Oilers. And for a kid whose “team game” has been called “really, really poor,” well, parallels are bound to be drawn.
Edmonton hosts Dallas tomorrow.
"I like the kid. He's a passionate kid who works hard and still has a lot to learn about the game." – Coach Eakins on Yakupov—
Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) November 12, 2013
Eakins agrees this is a frustrating time, but he's encouraged by the steps in Yakupov's game. "My plan for Nail stays the same."—
Ryan Dittrick (@ryandittrick) November 12, 2013
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 42
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)