Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
The red-hot Minnesota Wild made a pair of roster moves on Monday, losing one veteran presence while inching closer to the return of another.
Defenseman Keith Ballard has been placed on injured reserve, the club announced, while forward Mike Rupp has been activated and sent to AHL Iowa on a conditioning assignment. Rupp, 33, has yet to play for the Wild this year after recovering from an offseason knee injury and will suit up for Iowa in games Wednesday (vs. Chicago) and Friday (vs. San Antonio) before returning to the parent club.
The outlook for Ballard is not as clear.
The 31-year-old rearguard returned from a seven-game absence (concussion) on Nov. 1 and provided a spark almost immediately, racking up three points in his first two games back. He also logged a season-high 19:46 TOI in a 4-0 win over New Jersey on Nov. 3, only to suffer an upper-body injury not related to the concussion, missing games against Washington and Carolina last week.
All told, Ballard has now missed nine of Minnesota’s 18 games this year.
Even without Ballard in the lineup, the Wild have played extremely well as of late. They’ve suffered just one regulation loss in their last nine and have captured 15 of a possible 18 points.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)