Nov 12, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT
The St. Louis Blues have brought a familiar face back into the fold, agreeing to terms with defenseman Carlo Colaiacovo.
The deal is contingent upon Colaiacovo’s medical assessment which, given his history of health problems, is no slam dunk.
Colaiacovo, 30, enjoyed his finest NHL season with the Blues in 2009-10, scoring a career-high seven goals and 32 points while appearing in 67 games.
Toronto’s first-round pick (17th overall) at the 2001 NHL Entry Draft, Colaiacovo has always been known as a skilled offensive defenseman, but one that struggles with the defensive side of the game and has issues staying healthy.
In four seasons with St. Louis, he missed at least 15 games every year to an assortment of ailments. That didn’t stop Detroit from signing him to a two-year, $5 million deal just prior to the lockout, though — and true to form, he suffered a shoulder injury in January and missed 29 games, never emerging as more than a bit player for the Wings.
During the July compliance window, Detroit bought out the final year of Colaiacovo’s deal.
Assuming he clears his medical, Colaiacovo will be a decent depth pickup for the Blues in the wake of Jordan Leopold‘s injury. On Monday St. Louis announced that Leopold would be out for a couple of months after undergoing surgery to repair ligament damage in his hand.
Leopold, 33, has two assists in 13 games while averaging 15:45 of ice time.
Oct 31, 2014, 3:10 PM EDT
“I just haven’t come to that decision yet.”
Oct 31, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT
When Philly takes on the Panthers in Florida.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Veteran forward is hurt again.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:32 PM EDT
On a professional tryout contract.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:57 PM EDT
Former 13th overall pick doesn’t want to comment on trade rumors.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Club is dealing with a team-wide bacterial infection.
Oct 31, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“He was the bettor. He bet on football games.” And that, according to Steve Bartlett, is all he did.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
We’d say we were surprised, but we totally thought this could happen.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Hurricanes forward was benched Tuesday in Vancouver.
Oct 31, 2014, 12:01 PM EDT
“We’ve given up a lot of goals and we need to be better, help our goaltenders out.”
Oct 31, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Antti Raanta retains the backup gig behind Corey Crawford.
Oct 31, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Dallas has lost two straight.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:58 AM EDT
As most expected they’d do with the No. 2 overall pick.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:39 AM EDT
With AK Bars Kazan.
Oct 31, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
They’re building a $350 million arena with AEG, which owns the Kings.
Oct 31, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
The Canucks forward has been fined twice but never suspended.
Oct 31, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
Just replace Chris Pronger with his name from your previous jokes …
Oct 31, 2014, 8:02 AM EDT
Phaneuf as Spider-Man is … odd.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:30 AM EDT
Rookie Jonathan Drouin played less than 10 minutes in the win.
Oct 31, 2014, 2:00 AM EDT
Not quite a fight.
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 4
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 4
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 11
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 32
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 36
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)