Nov 12, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Vanek, 29, suffered an upper-body injury just seconds into Saturday’s loss to Columbus, left immediately, and didn’t return. He was subsequently held out of a 4-2 loss to Montreal on Sunday and won’t have a chance to snap New York’s four-game losing skid tonight against the Preds.
Things have not gone well for Vanek or the Isles since he was acquired in an October blockbuster from Buffalo. The Austrian sniper has three points in six games — just one goal — and the Islanders are 2-5-0 since bringing him aboard.
According to Newsday’s Arthur Staple, Vanek did work out off-ice today and felt good, and the possibility of skating tomorrow remains in play.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (66)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)