Nov 12, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
Could underrated defensive center Vernon Fiddler‘s days with the Dallas Stars be numbered?
Rumors are starting to swirl on that subject. The Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch reported this past weekend that Stars GM Jim Nill is “shopping” Fiddler while TSN’s Bob McKenzie mentioned that Fiddler was the one asking for a trade during Tuesday’s Insider Trading segment.
Stars blog Defending Big D claims that it doesn’t pass the “sniff test” for a variety of reasons, including the fact that the 33-year-old is taking many of the second-line duties that Shawn Horcoff was expected to absorb.
It doesn’t jive with the constant refrain of “patience” Stars fans hear. Not at all. Nor does it jive with ye old eyeball test. If Jim Nill were to make a move this early, with playoff hopes still intact, it would, intuitively, seem to have to be one that improved the team definitively this season, unless it were some steal of an asset whose value would be long term.
Could this be something that develops quickly, marinates more gradually toward the trade deadline or evaporates entirely? We’ll have to wait and see.
This Fiddler’s third season with the Stars. He has five points in 17 games while often facing tough defensive assignments.
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 20
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 36
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 49
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 33
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 27
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 26
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 52
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6