Nov 12, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
Could underrated defensive center Vernon Fiddler‘s days with the Dallas Stars be numbered?
Rumors are starting to swirl on that subject. The Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch reported this past weekend that Stars GM Jim Nill is “shopping” Fiddler while TSN’s Bob McKenzie mentioned that Fiddler was the one asking for a trade during Tuesday’s Insider Trading segment.
Stars blog Defending Big D claims that it doesn’t pass the “sniff test” for a variety of reasons, including the fact that the 33-year-old is taking many of the second-line duties that Shawn Horcoff was expected to absorb.
It doesn’t jive with the constant refrain of “patience” Stars fans hear. Not at all. Nor does it jive with ye old eyeball test. If Jim Nill were to make a move this early, with playoff hopes still intact, it would, intuitively, seem to have to be one that improved the team definitively this season, unless it were some steal of an asset whose value would be long term.
Could this be something that develops quickly, marinates more gradually toward the trade deadline or evaporates entirely? We’ll have to wait and see.
This Fiddler’s third season with the Stars. He has five points in 17 games while often facing tough defensive assignments.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 4
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)