Nov 12, 2013, 10:05 AM EST
Few teams rely on their starting goaltender more than the Nashville Predators with Pekka Rinne. Now that he’s out with a hip injury, they’ve turned to 27-year-old Carter Hutton, who had just one game worth of NHL experience going into this season.
The results haven’t been pretty. Hutton has a 3.53 GAA and .887 save percentage in nine games this season. Things have gone particularly bad lately, with Hutton getting yanked midway through the first period of Friday’s contest and then allowing five goals on Sunday.
Of course, Hutton didn’t come into the season anticipating that Rinne would suffer a major injury within the first month. He likes the opportunity, but admitted that it’s “a bit overwhelming.” He’s also quick to accept the blame for the goals he’s let in, but Predators coach Barry Trotz doesn’t think Hutton is solely responsible.
“He has gone through having a couple of rough patches in game,” coach Barry Trotz told the Tennessean, “but one of the things people have to understand is the goaltender is the last line of defense.”
Unfortunately for the Predators, Hutton and their defense haven’t been the team’s only problems lately. They have also been shutout of back-to-back contests.
Rinne isn’t expected to return any time soon, so Nashville will probably use Hutton again on Tuesday when they face the New York Islanders.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)