Nov 12, 2013, 10:05 AM EDT
Few teams rely on their starting goaltender more than the Nashville Predators with Pekka Rinne. Now that he’s out with a hip injury, they’ve turned to 27-year-old Carter Hutton, who had just one game worth of NHL experience going into this season.
The results haven’t been pretty. Hutton has a 3.53 GAA and .887 save percentage in nine games this season. Things have gone particularly bad lately, with Hutton getting yanked midway through the first period of Friday’s contest and then allowing five goals on Sunday.
Of course, Hutton didn’t come into the season anticipating that Rinne would suffer a major injury within the first month. He likes the opportunity, but admitted that it’s “a bit overwhelming.” He’s also quick to accept the blame for the goals he’s let in, but Predators coach Barry Trotz doesn’t think Hutton is solely responsible.
“He has gone through having a couple of rough patches in game,” coach Barry Trotz told the Tennessean, “but one of the things people have to understand is the goaltender is the last line of defense.”
Unfortunately for the Predators, Hutton and their defense haven’t been the team’s only problems lately. They have also been shutout of back-to-back contests.
Rinne isn’t expected to return any time soon, so Nashville will probably use Hutton again on Tuesday when they face the New York Islanders.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)