Nov 12, 2013, 10:54 PM EDT
Maybe Tuesday’s results have been, in some ways, about the little guys.
Earlier on, PHT discussed the Florida Panthers ending a nine-game losing streak against the Anaheim Ducks (aka the team with the most standings points in the NHL). That storyline was expanded most obviously with the lowly Buffalo Sabres edging the Los Angeles Kings 3-2 via a shutout, notching their first home win of 2013-14.
The rich got a little poorer tonight, too, as the Colorado Avalanche finally suffered a road loss. The Carolina Hurricanes beat them 2-1 as Justin Peters (a goalie some might have given up on) stopped 33 out of 34 shots. Ducks goaltender Frederik Andersen finally lost his first NHL game, too.
Also of note: the Philadelphia Flyers have won two in a row and scored nine goals in their last games while universally panned netminder Steve Mason continues his great work. Even the New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders and New York Rangers are showing signs of working things out.
Of course, things could turn back toward the negative quick enough, and not everyone’s immune. Still, for some, it’s better than nothing.
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 11
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 38
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 11
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 49
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)