Nov 12, 2013, 10:54 PM EST
Maybe Tuesday’s results have been, in some ways, about the little guys.
Earlier on, PHT discussed the Florida Panthers ending a nine-game losing streak against the Anaheim Ducks (aka the team with the most standings points in the NHL). That storyline was expanded most obviously with the lowly Buffalo Sabres edging the Los Angeles Kings 3-2 via a shutout, notching their first home win of 2013-14.
The rich got a little poorer tonight, too, as the Colorado Avalanche finally suffered a road loss. The Carolina Hurricanes beat them 2-1 as Justin Peters (a goalie some might have given up on) stopped 33 out of 34 shots. Ducks goaltender Frederik Andersen finally lost his first NHL game, too.
Also of note: the Philadelphia Flyers have won two in a row and scored nine goals in their last games while universally panned netminder Steve Mason continues his great work. Even the New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders and New York Rangers are showing signs of working things out.
Of course, things could turn back toward the negative quick enough, and not everyone’s immune. Still, for some, it’s better than nothing.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 19
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)