Nov 12, 2013, 10:54 PM EDT
Maybe Tuesday’s results have been, in some ways, about the little guys.
Earlier on, PHT discussed the Florida Panthers ending a nine-game losing streak against the Anaheim Ducks (aka the team with the most standings points in the NHL). That storyline was expanded most obviously with the lowly Buffalo Sabres edging the Los Angeles Kings 3-2 via a shutout, notching their first home win of 2013-14.
The rich got a little poorer tonight, too, as the Colorado Avalanche finally suffered a road loss. The Carolina Hurricanes beat them 2-1 as Justin Peters (a goalie some might have given up on) stopped 33 out of 34 shots. Ducks goaltender Frederik Andersen finally lost his first NHL game, too.
Also of note: the Philadelphia Flyers have won two in a row and scored nine goals in their last games while universally panned netminder Steve Mason continues his great work. Even the New Jersey Devils, New York Islanders and New York Rangers are showing signs of working things out.
Of course, things could turn back toward the negative quick enough, and not everyone’s immune. Still, for some, it’s better than nothing.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)