Nov 12, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars placed veteran forward Ray Whitney on injured reserve Tuesday, though the placement was retroactive to Saturday, Nov. 9.
Whitney, 41, logged huge minutes in Saturday’s 5-2 loss to Chicago — 21:08, his season-high — and currently sits third on the Stars in assists, with seven.
By placing Whitney on IR rectoactively, Dallas could only end up losing his services of a pair of games. The Stars play back-to-back games in Edmonton and Calgary on Wednesday and Thursday, then don’t play again until a road date in Vancouver on Sunday, Nov. 17.
Whitney, believed to be suffering a lower-body injury, is eligible to come off IR on the 16th.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 11
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 44
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 53
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10