Nov 12, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars placed veteran forward Ray Whitney on injured reserve Tuesday, though the placement was retroactive to Saturday, Nov. 9.
Whitney, 41, logged huge minutes in Saturday’s 5-2 loss to Chicago — 21:08, his season-high — and currently sits third on the Stars in assists, with seven.
By placing Whitney on IR rectoactively, Dallas could only end up losing his services of a pair of games. The Stars play back-to-back games in Edmonton and Calgary on Wednesday and Thursday, then don’t play again until a road date in Vancouver on Sunday, Nov. 17.
Whitney, believed to be suffering a lower-body injury, is eligible to come off IR on the 16th.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 48
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 28
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25