Nov 12, 2013, 1:41 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars placed veteran forward Ray Whitney on injured reserve Tuesday, though the placement was retroactive to Saturday, Nov. 9.
Whitney, 41, logged huge minutes in Saturday’s 5-2 loss to Chicago — 21:08, his season-high — and currently sits third on the Stars in assists, with seven.
By placing Whitney on IR rectoactively, Dallas could only end up losing his services of a pair of games. The Stars play back-to-back games in Edmonton and Calgary on Wednesday and Thursday, then don’t play again until a road date in Vancouver on Sunday, Nov. 17.
Whitney, believed to be suffering a lower-body injury, is eligible to come off IR on the 16th.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 33
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 66
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (66)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)