Nov 12, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
The general takeaway regarding fighting at the latest NHL GM meetings is that goalie fights were specifically being discussed, not fights in general, according to the National Post and other sources.
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman gravitated toward Emery crossing center ice, echoing the rationale behind the league discussing automatic 10-game suspensions for such actions. Meanwhile, Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin had a more practical take on fisticuffs between masked men, as TSN’s Dave McCarthy passes along on Tuesday:
Bergevin: Talked about goalie fights. You have only 2 goalies, losing 1 to a broken hand isn’t fun & affects your team for a long time #NHL
— Dave McCarthy (@DaveAMcCarthy) November 12, 2013
If there’s any consensus from goalies in the league … it’s that they don’t want to fight Emery.
“I really don’t want to ever see Ray Emery skate down at me,’’ Howard said.
“You shouldn’t have to fight. I wouldn’t stand up to him, that’s one guy on my list that I probably would try to find the nearest exit to the ice, whether it be the Zamboni doors or the bench. I mean, jeez, you click on YouTube and you watch him take on heavyweights out there.’’
Maybe the league should simply develop some sort of escape hatch/ejector seat if Emery, 31, is heading a goalie’s way? /Problem solved.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 7
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 7
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 23
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 40
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (40)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)