Nov 12, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
The general takeaway regarding fighting at the latest NHL GM meetings is that goalie fights were specifically being discussed, not fights in general, according to the National Post and other sources.
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman gravitated toward Emery crossing center ice, echoing the rationale behind the league discussing automatic 10-game suspensions for such actions. Meanwhile, Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin had a more practical take on fisticuffs between masked men, as TSN’s Dave McCarthy passes along on Tuesday:
Bergevin: Talked about goalie fights. You have only 2 goalies, losing 1 to a broken hand isn’t fun & affects your team for a long time #NHL
— Dave McCarthy (@DaveAMcCarthy) November 12, 2013
If there’s any consensus from goalies in the league … it’s that they don’t want to fight Emery.
“I really don’t want to ever see Ray Emery skate down at me,’’ Howard said.
“You shouldn’t have to fight. I wouldn’t stand up to him, that’s one guy on my list that I probably would try to find the nearest exit to the ice, whether it be the Zamboni doors or the bench. I mean, jeez, you click on YouTube and you watch him take on heavyweights out there.’’
Maybe the league should simply develop some sort of escape hatch/ejector seat if Emery, 31, is heading a goalie’s way? /Problem solved.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 23
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 18
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)