Nov 12, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
The general takeaway regarding fighting at the latest NHL GM meetings is that goalie fights were specifically being discussed, not fights in general, according to the National Post and other sources.
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman gravitated toward Emery crossing center ice, echoing the rationale behind the league discussing automatic 10-game suspensions for such actions. Meanwhile, Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin had a more practical take on fisticuffs between masked men, as TSN’s Dave McCarthy passes along on Tuesday:
Bergevin: Talked about goalie fights. You have only 2 goalies, losing 1 to a broken hand isn’t fun & affects your team for a long time #NHL
— Dave McCarthy (@DaveAMcCarthy) November 12, 2013
If there’s any consensus from goalies in the league … it’s that they don’t want to fight Emery.
“I really don’t want to ever see Ray Emery skate down at me,’’ Howard said.
“You shouldn’t have to fight. I wouldn’t stand up to him, that’s one guy on my list that I probably would try to find the nearest exit to the ice, whether it be the Zamboni doors or the bench. I mean, jeez, you click on YouTube and you watch him take on heavyweights out there.’’
Maybe the league should simply develop some sort of escape hatch/ejector seat if Emery, 31, is heading a goalie’s way? /Problem solved.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5