Nov 12, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
The general takeaway regarding fighting at the latest NHL GM meetings is that goalie fights were specifically being discussed, not fights in general, according to the National Post and other sources.
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman gravitated toward Emery crossing center ice, echoing the rationale behind the league discussing automatic 10-game suspensions for such actions. Meanwhile, Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin had a more practical take on fisticuffs between masked men, as TSN’s Dave McCarthy passes along on Tuesday:
Bergevin: Talked about goalie fights. You have only 2 goalies, losing 1 to a broken hand isn’t fun & affects your team for a long time #NHL
— Dave McCarthy (@DaveAMcCarthy) November 12, 2013
If there’s any consensus from goalies in the league … it’s that they don’t want to fight Emery.
“I really don’t want to ever see Ray Emery skate down at me,’’ Howard said.
“You shouldn’t have to fight. I wouldn’t stand up to him, that’s one guy on my list that I probably would try to find the nearest exit to the ice, whether it be the Zamboni doors or the bench. I mean, jeez, you click on YouTube and you watch him take on heavyweights out there.’’
Maybe the league should simply develop some sort of escape hatch/ejector seat if Emery, 31, is heading a goalie’s way? /Problem solved.
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 16
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 38
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 33
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21