Nov 12, 2013, 9:26 PM EDT
The general takeaway regarding fighting at the latest NHL GM meetings is that goalie fights were specifically being discussed, not fights in general, according to the National Post and other sources.
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman gravitated toward Emery crossing center ice, echoing the rationale behind the league discussing automatic 10-game suspensions for such actions. Meanwhile, Montreal Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin had a more practical take on fisticuffs between masked men, as TSN’s Dave McCarthy passes along on Tuesday:
Bergevin: Talked about goalie fights. You have only 2 goalies, losing 1 to a broken hand isn’t fun & affects your team for a long time #NHL
— Dave McCarthy (@DaveAMcCarthy) November 12, 2013
If there’s any consensus from goalies in the league … it’s that they don’t want to fight Emery.
“I really don’t want to ever see Ray Emery skate down at me,’’ Howard said.
“You shouldn’t have to fight. I wouldn’t stand up to him, that’s one guy on my list that I probably would try to find the nearest exit to the ice, whether it be the Zamboni doors or the bench. I mean, jeez, you click on YouTube and you watch him take on heavyweights out there.’’
Maybe the league should simply develop some sort of escape hatch/ejector seat if Emery, 31, is heading a goalie’s way? /Problem solved.
- A taste of revenge? Blackhawks deal blow to Kings’ playoff hopes 2
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 6
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18