Nov 12, 2013, 10:24 PM EDT
On paper, it’s an enormous upset, and even early-season devils’ advocates would probably concur. The Florida Panthers came back from down 2-0 to beat the Anaheim Ducks 3-2 in an unlikely win on Tuesday.
Chew on this:
- The Predators came in with a nine-game losing streak and remain second-to-last in the dreadful East, ahead only the moribund Buffalo Sabres.
- Anaheim carried a five-game winning streak and took eight of its last nine possible wins leading into Tuesday’s action. They remain on top of the NHL even after this loss.
If you’re going to give any single player credit, target Tim Thomas. He stopped 32 out of 34 shots to get just his second win of 2013-14. It’s been a turbulent season for the 39-year-old, but perhaps this will be something he – and his team – can build upon.
This also marks the first win for new Panthers head coach Peter Horacek, so the highly optimistic can hope this indicates that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.
Meanwhile, the Ducks hope it’s a mere blip on the radar …
Apr 18, 2014, 11:14 PM EDT
Apr 18, 2014, 10:40 PM EDT
Bolts just needed a spark, he explained.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:27 PM EDT
There was no penalty on the play.
Apr 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Jimmy Howard had a shutout in the goaltending duel.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:55 PM EDT
Can Dallas build on its late-game momentum?
Apr 18, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Game 3 will be played in Montreal.
Apr 18, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
Naturally, the Blackhawks-Blues triple-overtime game was very popular.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT
Detroit was near the bottom of the pack in hits in the regular season.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:34 PM EDT
They took a 1-0 lead over Tampa Bay in the process.
Apr 18, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT
“We expected a tough series against (St. Louis).”
Apr 18, 2014, 7:43 PM EDT
The rookie had three assists last night.
Apr 18, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
The last of the first round series is about to begin.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:34 PM EDT
Montreal has a 1-0 series lead.
Apr 18, 2014, 6:17 PM EDT
This isn’t the first time he’s been fined.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:59 PM EDT
That’s a pretty bold statement, given that Nashville used to have blueliners like Kimmo Timonen and Ryan Suter.
Apr 18, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
Apparently, the “Coyotes, Ducks, Kings, and Sharks are on board” with relocating their minor-league affiliates closer to home.
Apr 18, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT
The year was 1957…
Apr 18, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
Unlike the last coach he had in Vancouver.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:59 PM EDT
Devante Smith-Pelley will draw in.
Apr 18, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
30-year-old vet led the league in scoring.
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 36
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 27
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25