Nov 12, 2013, 10:24 PM EDT
On paper, it’s an enormous upset, and even early-season devils’ advocates would probably concur. The Florida Panthers came back from down 2-0 to beat the Anaheim Ducks 3-2 in an unlikely win on Tuesday.
Chew on this:
- The Predators came in with a nine-game losing streak and remain second-to-last in the dreadful East, ahead only the moribund Buffalo Sabres.
- Anaheim carried a five-game winning streak and took eight of its last nine possible wins leading into Tuesday’s action. They remain on top of the NHL even after this loss.
If you’re going to give any single player credit, target Tim Thomas. He stopped 32 out of 34 shots to get just his second win of 2013-14. It’s been a turbulent season for the 39-year-old, but perhaps this will be something he – and his team – can build upon.
This also marks the first win for new Panthers head coach Peter Horacek, so the highly optimistic can hope this indicates that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.
Meanwhile, the Ducks hope it’s a mere blip on the radar …
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 34
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)