Nov 12, 2013, 10:24 PM EDT
On paper, it’s an enormous upset, and even early-season devils’ advocates would probably concur. The Florida Panthers came back from down 2-0 to beat the Anaheim Ducks 3-2 in an unlikely win on Tuesday.
Chew on this:
- The Predators came in with a nine-game losing streak and remain second-to-last in the dreadful East, ahead only the moribund Buffalo Sabres.
- Anaheim carried a five-game winning streak and took eight of its last nine possible wins leading into Tuesday’s action. They remain on top of the NHL even after this loss.
If you’re going to give any single player credit, target Tim Thomas. He stopped 32 out of 34 shots to get just his second win of 2013-14. It’s been a turbulent season for the 39-year-old, but perhaps this will be something he – and his team – can build upon.
This also marks the first win for new Panthers head coach Peter Horacek, so the highly optimistic can hope this indicates that there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.
Meanwhile, the Ducks hope it’s a mere blip on the radar …
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)