Nov 12, 2013, 8:55 AM EST
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the St. Louis Blues host the Phoenix Coyotes at the Scottrade Center at 8:00 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
The Coyotes and Blues might not be two of the most popular teams in the NHL, but they are certainly worth of attention. Both of them have been playing exciting hockey and winning in the process.
Phoenix and St. Louis rank seventh and fifth respectively in goals per game after they were mediocre to bad offensively in the 2013 campaign. For the Blues, the big difference has been Alexander Steen.
Related: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $2,500 Fantasy Hockey league tonight (Tuesday). It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $500. Starts at 7:30 p.m. ET. Here’s the link.
The 29-year-old forward has only been held off the scoresheet once all season and is currently riding a 10-game point streak. He’s never recorded more than 24 goals in a single campaign, but Steen already has 14 goals in 15 games this season. That puts him in a tie with the now injured Steven Stamkos for the NHL goal scoring lead.
Phoenix will counter with a forward that’s been almost as hot lately, its captain Shane Doan. Although the 37-year-old’s season numbers pale in comparison, Doan has scored in five of his last six contests. If the Blues manage to neutralize Doan though, the Coyotes are far from doomed. They have plenty of offensive depth with nine different players that have recorded at least 10 points in 2013-14.
St. Louis goaltender Jaroslav Halak will consequently have his hands full, but he’s capable of rising to the occasion. After enduring a rough and injury-riddled 2013 campaign, Halak has bounced back this season with a 2.19 GAA and .913 save percentage. Phoenix will likely counter with netminder Mike Smith, who has been less than ideal so far, but still typically performs well enough to get the job done.
These two teams have combined for just six regulation losses all season, but the Western Conference has been dominant. As a result, Phoenix just has a four-point cushion between them and fifth place in its division and the Blues’ hold on a playoff spot is only six points.
So as good as they’ve been, neither team can afford to let up.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:49 AM EST
Erik Cole and Marek Zidlicky are set to debut while Henrik Zetterberg might return from a concussion.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:02 AM EST
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:31 PM EST
Some exciting moments from Ducks – Coyotes.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:02 PM EST
The frequent Islanders hitter has two long-ago suspensions.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
A truly weird scene for Florida’s goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:17 PM EST
Easy, if uninspired, win for Tampa Bay.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:39 PM EST
He fought Marcus Foligno on Tuesday.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Tough start to Tuesday for goalies.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:18 PM EST
Montoya is currently trying to gut it out.
Mar 3, 2015, 9:06 PM EST
A contentious game in Columbus.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:16 PM EST
They traded for him on Monday.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:55 PM EST
Vancouver faces San Jose tonight.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:29 PM EST
He says he’s happy to be in New Jersey.
Mar 3, 2015, 6:29 PM EST
Could we see an upset or a blowout?
Mar 3, 2015, 5:33 PM EST
Incident occurred during TSN’s trade deadline day coverage.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:41 PM EST
Recapping the trade deadline.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:38 PM EST
“Shane’s a pro, he’ll get through it.”
Mar 3, 2015, 3:58 PM EST
Flames captain was holding out hope for a “tiny chance” he could keep playing.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
Making it “pretty cool to be a part of.”
Mar 3, 2015, 2:17 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)