Nov 12, 2013, 8:55 AM EDT
NBCSN continues its coverage of the 2013-14 campaign tonight when the St. Louis Blues host the Phoenix Coyotes at the Scottrade Center at 8:00 p.m. ET. In addition to NBCSN, you can also watch the game online.
The Coyotes and Blues might not be two of the most popular teams in the NHL, but they are certainly worth of attention. Both of them have been playing exciting hockey and winning in the process.
Phoenix and St. Louis rank seventh and fifth respectively in goals per game after they were mediocre to bad offensively in the 2013 campaign. For the Blues, the big difference has been Alexander Steen.
Related: Pro Hockey Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $2,500 Fantasy Hockey league tonight (Tuesday). It’s just $10 to join and first prize is $500. Starts at 7:30 p.m. ET. Here’s the link.
The 29-year-old forward has only been held off the scoresheet once all season and is currently riding a 10-game point streak. He’s never recorded more than 24 goals in a single campaign, but Steen already has 14 goals in 15 games this season. That puts him in a tie with the now injured Steven Stamkos for the NHL goal scoring lead.
Phoenix will counter with a forward that’s been almost as hot lately, its captain Shane Doan. Although the 37-year-old’s season numbers pale in comparison, Doan has scored in five of his last six contests. If the Blues manage to neutralize Doan though, the Coyotes are far from doomed. They have plenty of offensive depth with nine different players that have recorded at least 10 points in 2013-14.
St. Louis goaltender Jaroslav Halak will consequently have his hands full, but he’s capable of rising to the occasion. After enduring a rough and injury-riddled 2013 campaign, Halak has bounced back this season with a 2.19 GAA and .913 save percentage. Phoenix will likely counter with netminder Mike Smith, who has been less than ideal so far, but still typically performs well enough to get the job done.
These two teams have combined for just six regulation losses all season, but the Western Conference has been dominant. As a result, Phoenix just has a four-point cushion between them and fifth place in its division and the Blues’ hold on a playoff spot is only six points.
So as good as they’ve been, neither team can afford to let up.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
And on the possibility of his client signing an offer sheet? “Well, we’ll have to see.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
“Justin has emerged as one of our most well-rounded and dependable defensemen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
“We’ve been told if we don’t give them what they want, they’ll be leaving town.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Veteran d-man just turned 40 years old.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
“That is significantly good to hear.”
Sep 17, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
“I’ve been with the team for eight years, and I don’t know if I’ve been more disappointed about anything that’s been written,” said Pierre Dorion.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Enter Radim Vrbata.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
“I actually thought I had a great year up to the Olympic break and even after.”
Sep 17, 2014, 11:03 AM EDT
“The tenor of the talks has been good, so we’ll keep going and keep working on it.”
Sep 17, 2014, 10:38 AM EDT
Yet he says his contract status won’t be an issue this season.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
The Blues acquired him from Toronto.
Sep 17, 2014, 9:02 AM EDT
Those prospects could get longer looks if Ryan Johansen misses the preseason.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:56 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
“It’s extortion is what it is. I don’t make this stuff up.”
Sep 16, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT
Caps blueliner has had bad luck in the health department.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:21 PM EDT
Florida’s youngsters stole the show overall.
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 7
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 2
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 19
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 9
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 60
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)