Nov 12, 2013, 6:37 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning passed along a statement about Steven Stamkos‘ successful surgery on a broken right tibia Tuesday:
Tampa Bay Lightning center Steven Stamkos underwent successful surgery this afternoon in Boston to stabilize a fracture in his right tibia. He is expected to return to Tampa on Thursday to begin rehabilitation immediately, the team announced. A prospective timetable has not yet been set for his return to the ice.
Stamkos had a metal rod inserted in his leg the length of his tibia, which will be a “permanent part of his body,” according to the Tampa Bay Times’ Damian Cristodero.
As you can see, the team isn’t providing a window for return (just that his rehab will begin on Thursday). TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that there’s an “unofficial prognosis” of three months and floats some extra incentive for hitting that mark:
BTW, Team Canada’s first game at Sochi Olympics is Feb. 13 vs Norway. So, basically, in 3 months.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) November 12, 2013
It certainly makes sense that Stamkos would want to play for Canada, as the 23-year-old is one of the few virtual locks when healthy. Still, he’s just 23 … is that worth the risk of possibly rushing back too soon?
There’s plenty of time to wring hands over that, though. The good news is that the surgery seemed to go well.
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 8
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 3
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 8
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 30
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 37
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 56
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 12
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (56)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ (37)