Nov 12, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning passed along a statement about Steven Stamkos‘ successful surgery on a broken right tibia Tuesday:
Tampa Bay Lightning center Steven Stamkos underwent successful surgery this afternoon in Boston to stabilize a fracture in his right tibia. He is expected to return to Tampa on Thursday to begin rehabilitation immediately, the team announced. A prospective timetable has not yet been set for his return to the ice.
Stamkos had a metal rod inserted in his leg the length of his tibia, which will be a “permanent part of his body,” according to the Tampa Bay Times’ Damian Cristodero.
As you can see, the team isn’t providing a window for return (just that his rehab will begin on Thursday). TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that there’s an “unofficial prognosis” of three months and floats some extra incentive for hitting that mark:
BTW, Team Canada’s first game at Sochi Olympics is Feb. 13 vs Norway. So, basically, in 3 months.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) November 12, 2013
It certainly makes sense that Stamkos would want to play for Canada, as the 23-year-old is one of the few virtual locks when healthy. Still, he’s just 23 … is that worth the risk of possibly rushing back too soon?
There’s plenty of time to wring hands over that, though. The good news is that the surgery seemed to go well.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)