Nov 12, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning passed along a statement about Steven Stamkos‘ successful surgery on a broken right tibia Tuesday:
Tampa Bay Lightning center Steven Stamkos underwent successful surgery this afternoon in Boston to stabilize a fracture in his right tibia. He is expected to return to Tampa on Thursday to begin rehabilitation immediately, the team announced. A prospective timetable has not yet been set for his return to the ice.
Stamkos had a metal rod inserted in his leg the length of his tibia, which will be a “permanent part of his body,” according to the Tampa Bay Times’ Damian Cristodero.
As you can see, the team isn’t providing a window for return (just that his rehab will begin on Thursday). TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that there’s an “unofficial prognosis” of three months and floats some extra incentive for hitting that mark:
BTW, Team Canada’s first game at Sochi Olympics is Feb. 13 vs Norway. So, basically, in 3 months.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) November 12, 2013
It certainly makes sense that Stamkos would want to play for Canada, as the 23-year-old is one of the few virtual locks when healthy. Still, he’s just 23 … is that worth the risk of possibly rushing back too soon?
There’s plenty of time to wring hands over that, though. The good news is that the surgery seemed to go well.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)