Nov 12, 2013, 9:41 PM EDT
The New York Islanders ended their four-game losing streak on Tuesday and added to the Nashville Predators’ woes in the process, taking the game 3-1.
That final digit might serve some bittersweet solace for the Predators, as they were bombarded 10-0 in their past two games on Friday and Sunday. Patric Hornqvist‘s goal in the third period broke a team-wide scoring slump that lasted 174 minutes and 48 seconds, according to the Predatorial’s Patten Fuqua.
Hey, at least the Preds are displaying a sardonic sense of humor about it:
Preds fall to the Islanders 3-1. Glass half full – we scored a goal. #NSHvsNYI
— Nashville Predators (@PredsNHL) November 13, 2013
Two teams facing the unknown
The Islanders face two more games at home (both tough ones, as they host Los Angeles and Detroit) before ping-ponging from a three-game road trip to four straight home contests. No doubt about it, the team must breathe a sigh of relief considering how dicey things have been even after acquiring Thomas Vanek, who’s been on the shelf with an upper-body injury.
Nashville has now lost three in a row while scoring just one goal. Still, they started off this bumpy seven-game road trip with two wins and an OT loss, so an especially pragmatic fan might look at it as less of a dire situation than it might seem.
Both teams find themselves in an interesting place: unsure if this season will allow them to be a scrappy playoff team or a franchise hoping to nab a decent draft pick.
(Considering the fact that Isles GM Garth Snow traded away valuable draft picks for Vanek, the Isles might not be able to afford the latter option.)
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 53
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)