Nov 12, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks have agreed to contract terms with forward Andrew Shaw on a two-year extension that will run through the 2015-16 season.
The deal is reportedly worth $4 million total, for an average annual value of $2 million.
“It’s great to come to this agreement with Andrew and keep another important member of our team here in Chicago,” said ‘Hawks general manager Stan Bowman in a release. “Andrew has proven his ability to play a prominent role on our team and we look forward to watching him continue to grow as a player for the Blackhawks.”
Shaw, 22, has 49 points in 103 career regular-season NHL games and had nine points in Chicago’s 2013 Stanley Cup run.
The ‘Hawks drafted the undersized, gritty forward in the fifth round, 139th overall, in 2011. That was the same year they took winger Brandon Saad, another contributor on last’s season Cup team, with the 43rd pick. Just in case you wondered how important drafting and developing was for teams to stay competitive.
Shaw is currently in the final year of his entry-level contract, which has a cap hit of just $577,500.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)