Nov 12, 2013, 12:12 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks have agreed to contract terms with forward Andrew Shaw on a two-year extension that will run through the 2015-16 season.
The deal is reportedly worth $4 million total, for an average annual value of $2 million.
“It’s great to come to this agreement with Andrew and keep another important member of our team here in Chicago,” said ‘Hawks general manager Stan Bowman in a release. “Andrew has proven his ability to play a prominent role on our team and we look forward to watching him continue to grow as a player for the Blackhawks.”
Shaw, 22, has 49 points in 103 career regular-season NHL games and had nine points in Chicago’s 2013 Stanley Cup run.
The ‘Hawks drafted the undersized, gritty forward in the fifth round, 139th overall, in 2011. That was the same year they took winger Brandon Saad, another contributor on last’s season Cup team, with the 43rd pick. Just in case you wondered how important drafting and developing was for teams to stay competitive.
Shaw is currently in the final year of his entry-level contract, which has a cap hit of just $577,500.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)