Nov 12, 2013, 12:12 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks have agreed to contract terms with forward Andrew Shaw on a two-year extension that will run through the 2015-16 season.
The deal is reportedly worth $4 million total, for an average annual value of $2 million.
“It’s great to come to this agreement with Andrew and keep another important member of our team here in Chicago,” said ‘Hawks general manager Stan Bowman in a release. “Andrew has proven his ability to play a prominent role on our team and we look forward to watching him continue to grow as a player for the Blackhawks.”
Shaw, 22, has 49 points in 103 career regular-season NHL games and had nine points in Chicago’s 2013 Stanley Cup run.
The ‘Hawks drafted the undersized, gritty forward in the fifth round, 139th overall, in 2011. That was the same year they took winger Brandon Saad, another contributor on last’s season Cup team, with the 43rd pick. Just in case you wondered how important drafting and developing was for teams to stay competitive.
Shaw is currently in the final year of his entry-level contract, which has a cap hit of just $577,500.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 15
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 110
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (111)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)