Nov 12, 2013, 12:06 PM EDT
The tough times continue for David Desharnais.
The Montreal center, already at the center of significant criticism, will be made a healthy scratch for the second time this season on Tuesday when the Habs host Tampa Bay.
(Desharnais was first dropped from the lineup last week vs. St. Louis.)
Montreal is opting to insert Daniel Briere into the lineup against the Bolts, his first action in 10 games after being sidelined with a concussion. Travis Moen and Gabriel Dumont will also draw in, leaving Desharnais and George Parros as the odd forwards out.
Yesterday, Desharnais was embroiled in a minor controversy after Montreal mayor Denis Coderre took to Twitter to blast the 27-year-old forward for his poor play this season (zero goals, one point in 17 games).
“Allo? Un billet simple pour Hamilton pour David Desharnais svp,” Coderre tweeted, which translates to “Hello? Can we get a one-way ticket to Hamilton for David Desharnais please.”
Hamilton is, of course, Montreal’s American Hockey League affiliate.
Desharnais is under fire due to his lack of production, magnified by the face he’s in the first year of a four-year, $14 million extension.
The diminutive center burst onto the scene in ’11-12, scoring a career-high 60 points in 81 games, finishing 24th in the NHL with 44 assists (more than Patrick Kane, Jordan Eberle and Patrice Bergeron). That earned him the big-money extension, which has raised expectations and demands.
Teammate Max Pacioretty jumped to Desharnais’ defense on Monday.
“To bring down a player — such a great person, such a great player, such a hard worker … Davey’s a true competitor and he’s a great player and a great teammate,” Pacioretty said, as per CBC. “[Coderre's tweet is] just so uncalled for … It’s only going to make matters worse.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)