Nov 12, 2013, 12:06 PM EDT
The tough times continue for David Desharnais.
The Montreal center, already at the center of significant criticism, will be made a healthy scratch for the second time this season on Tuesday when the Habs host Tampa Bay.
(Desharnais was first dropped from the lineup last week vs. St. Louis.)
Montreal is opting to insert Daniel Briere into the lineup against the Bolts, his first action in 10 games after being sidelined with a concussion. Travis Moen and Gabriel Dumont will also draw in, leaving Desharnais and George Parros as the odd forwards out.
Yesterday, Desharnais was embroiled in a minor controversy after Montreal mayor Denis Coderre took to Twitter to blast the 27-year-old forward for his poor play this season (zero goals, one point in 17 games).
“Allo? Un billet simple pour Hamilton pour David Desharnais svp,” Coderre tweeted, which translates to “Hello? Can we get a one-way ticket to Hamilton for David Desharnais please.”
Hamilton is, of course, Montreal’s American Hockey League affiliate.
Desharnais is under fire due to his lack of production, magnified by the face he’s in the first year of a four-year, $14 million extension.
The diminutive center burst onto the scene in ’11-12, scoring a career-high 60 points in 81 games, finishing 24th in the NHL with 44 assists (more than Patrick Kane, Jordan Eberle and Patrice Bergeron). That earned him the big-money extension, which has raised expectations and demands.
Teammate Max Pacioretty jumped to Desharnais’ defense on Monday.
“To bring down a player — such a great person, such a great player, such a hard worker … Davey’s a true competitor and he’s a great player and a great teammate,” Pacioretty said, as per CBC. “[Coderre's tweet is] just so uncalled for … It’s only going to make matters worse.”
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 45
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 31
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 60
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 170
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 57
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 59
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 51
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (170)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)