Nov 12, 2013, 12:06 PM EDT
The tough times continue for David Desharnais.
The Montreal center, already at the center of significant criticism, will be made a healthy scratch for the second time this season on Tuesday when the Habs host Tampa Bay.
(Desharnais was first dropped from the lineup last week vs. St. Louis.)
Montreal is opting to insert Daniel Briere into the lineup against the Bolts, his first action in 10 games after being sidelined with a concussion. Travis Moen and Gabriel Dumont will also draw in, leaving Desharnais and George Parros as the odd forwards out.
Yesterday, Desharnais was embroiled in a minor controversy after Montreal mayor Denis Coderre took to Twitter to blast the 27-year-old forward for his poor play this season (zero goals, one point in 17 games).
“Allo? Un billet simple pour Hamilton pour David Desharnais svp,” Coderre tweeted, which translates to “Hello? Can we get a one-way ticket to Hamilton for David Desharnais please.”
Hamilton is, of course, Montreal’s American Hockey League affiliate.
Desharnais is under fire due to his lack of production, magnified by the face he’s in the first year of a four-year, $14 million extension.
The diminutive center burst onto the scene in ’11-12, scoring a career-high 60 points in 81 games, finishing 24th in the NHL with 44 assists (more than Patrick Kane, Jordan Eberle and Patrice Bergeron). That earned him the big-money extension, which has raised expectations and demands.
Teammate Max Pacioretty jumped to Desharnais’ defense on Monday.
“To bring down a player — such a great person, such a great player, such a hard worker … Davey’s a true competitor and he’s a great player and a great teammate,” Pacioretty said, as per CBC. “[Coderre's tweet is] just so uncalled for … It’s only going to make matters worse.”
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 5
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 8
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 14
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)