Nov 12, 2013, 2:52 PM EST
News and notes from the crease…
Stalock gets second start
San Jose’s Alex Stalock will make just his second start of the season on Tuesday vs. Calgary.
“Last start was a very good one for us [vs. Ottawa], and he came in against Vancouver and played well,” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan explained. “He deserves the chance.”
The decision to start Stalock coincides with No. 1 goalie Antti Niemi struggling. The Finnish netminder has lost five straight while allowing 18 goals on 148 shots, a save percentage of .878.
What’s more, the Sharks are without a regulation victory since the aforementioned game against Ottawa, which they won 5-2.
Calgary will counter with Swiss netminder Reto Berra tonight.
Poulin goes again
The Islanders’ revolving goalie door has opened back up for Kevin Poulin.
Poulin will be in goal on Tuesday vs. Nashville, two nights after allowing four goals on 31 shots in a loss to Montreal on Sunday.
While he’s been splitting time with Evgeni Nabokov recently, Poulin will get consecutive starts for the first time this season, and that’s a big development. The Isles are clearly unhappy with Nabokov’s play thus far and are looking for something — anything — to snap them out of their current four-game losing streak.
– Frederik Andersen will look to go 6-0-0 this year with the start against Florida tonight, while the Panthers will counter with Tim Thomas. It’s worth noting that Andersen is coming off a stellar effort against Vancouver, stopping 35 of 36 shots in a 3-1 win on Sunday.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35