Nov 12, 2013, 2:52 PM EDT
News and notes from the crease…
Stalock gets second start
San Jose’s Alex Stalock will make just his second start of the season on Tuesday vs. Calgary.
“Last start was a very good one for us [vs. Ottawa], and he came in against Vancouver and played well,” Sharks head coach Todd McLellan explained. “He deserves the chance.”
The decision to start Stalock coincides with No. 1 goalie Antti Niemi struggling. The Finnish netminder has lost five straight while allowing 18 goals on 148 shots, a save percentage of .878.
What’s more, the Sharks are without a regulation victory since the aforementioned game against Ottawa, which they won 5-2.
Calgary will counter with Swiss netminder Reto Berra tonight.
Poulin goes again
The Islanders’ revolving goalie door has opened back up for Kevin Poulin.
Poulin will be in goal on Tuesday vs. Nashville, two nights after allowing four goals on 31 shots in a loss to Montreal on Sunday.
While he’s been splitting time with Evgeni Nabokov recently, Poulin will get consecutive starts for the first time this season, and that’s a big development. The Isles are clearly unhappy with Nabokov’s play thus far and are looking for something — anything — to snap them out of their current four-game losing streak.
– Frederik Andersen will look to go 6-0-0 this year with the start against Florida tonight, while the Panthers will counter with Tim Thomas. It’s worth noting that Andersen is coming off a stellar effort against Vancouver, stopping 35 of 36 shots in a 3-1 win on Sunday.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 22
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 133
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 81
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7