Nov 12, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
Maybe it’s the New Jersey Devils who are the tri-state area team who are rebounding after a tough start to 2013-14, instead of the New York Rangers?
That’s debatable, but either way, the Devils squeezed past the Rangers 3-2 on Tuesday to win their second in a row and collect points in four straight games (3-0-1) while the Blueshirts’ four-game winning streak ended.
It’s fitting, as the Devils seem to be a quieter version of the Rangers early on: both teams had slow starts, each had challenging road schedules early on (only the Rangers’ version stole the headlines since it was nine in a row) and both had some bad luck.
New Jersey also might see a hot run from its big-name goalie, only it’s the guy who should be passing the torch (Martin Brodeur) instead of the one expected to carry it (Cory Schneider). Brodeur is now on a three-game winning streak in which he’s allowed just two goals. That includes two shutouts.
Stretching it further, Brodeur has gone 5-1-0 with four goals allowed in his last six games. Not bad for a guy who allowed at least three in his first five contests.
It’s early, but tonight’s game may or may not have provided evidence that each squad cannot be written off just yet.
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 0
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 24
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)