Nov 12, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
Maybe it’s the New Jersey Devils who are the tri-state area team who are rebounding after a tough start to 2013-14, instead of the New York Rangers?
That’s debatable, but either way, the Devils squeezed past the Rangers 3-2 on Tuesday to win their second in a row and collect points in four straight games (3-0-1) while the Blueshirts’ four-game winning streak ended.
It’s fitting, as the Devils seem to be a quieter version of the Rangers early on: both teams had slow starts, each had challenging road schedules early on (only the Rangers’ version stole the headlines since it was nine in a row) and both had some bad luck.
New Jersey also might see a hot run from its big-name goalie, only it’s the guy who should be passing the torch (Martin Brodeur) instead of the one expected to carry it (Cory Schneider). Brodeur is now on a three-game winning streak in which he’s allowed just two goals. That includes two shutouts.
Stretching it further, Brodeur has gone 5-1-0 with four goals allowed in his last six games. Not bad for a guy who allowed at least three in his first five contests.
It’s early, but tonight’s game may or may not have provided evidence that each squad cannot be written off just yet.
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 13
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 42
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)