Nov 12, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
Just thought we’d post the Western Conference standings for the sake of discussion. As you can see, if the playoffs started today, the Los Angeles Kings — the 2012 Stanley Cup champions — would be on the outside looking in. And you know what? We’re thinking they’d be pretty upset they only got to play 17 games while Vancouver got to play 20. Might launch a formal complaint even.
Of course, the playoffs don’t start today. They don’t start for quite a while actually. The point is, at least one of those nine teams with 22 or more points is going to miss them. And that’s…something. Especially when you consider 22 points gets you a tie for third in the East today.
Of the current top nine in the West, the Canucks have the worst record based on percentage of points gained (.600); however, they’ve also played just seven home games compared to 13 on the road. Certainly, though, Vancouver is on the bubble, and this is a team that hasn’t missed the postseason since 2008. If John Tortorella’s first season behind the bench results in zero playoff games, well, there won’t be any shortage of Mike Gillis critics. (As if there’s a shortage now.)
We’re not willing to call any of the other eight “locks” to make the playoffs, but it’s hard to imagine Chicago, St. Louis, Los Angeles, or San Jose not getting the job done. Colorado and Anaheim could fall off a bit, but they’ve built such a big cushion with their great starts. Phoenix and Minnesota are candidates to miss, but mostly because someone will have to.
Let’s also not count out Nashville, Dallas, or Winnipeg, though we can probably count out Edmonton and Calgary.
Anyway, plenty of games left. Lots of things can happen. Injuries. Trades. Slumps. (Lest we forget the 2011-12 Wild, who started 20-7-3 and finished 34-36-11.) Streaks. (E.g. the 2008-09 Blues, who started 16-23-2 and finished 41-31-10.) Guess we’ll keep watching.
Apr 26, 2015, 12:07 AM EDT
Another big rally at the Saddledome.
Apr 25, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
A six-game series that felt like (at least) seven.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:31 PM EDT
Wild stuff at the Saddledome tonight.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT
Vancouver looking to avoid elimination for the second straight game.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Zero goals in five playoff games.
Apr 25, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
A healthy tally.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Putting on a clinic.
Apr 25, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Corey Crawford’s back in.
Apr 25, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
The Islanders won 3-1 in Game 6.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
He made his postseason debut in Game 4.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:03 PM EDT
Plenty of life on Long Island.
Apr 25, 2015, 5:48 PM EDT
Apr 25, 2015, 5:20 PM EDT
Keep this bounce in mind in the third period.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
He’s been ruled out of the series due to a rib injury.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
Carlson has his first of the playoffs.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
Kudos to the Cambria County War Memorial Arena in Johnstown, Pennsylvania and the Decatur Civic Center in Decatur, Illinois.
Apr 25, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He’ll backup for a fourth straight game.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:55 PM EDT
New York, Nashville and Vancouver are all facing elimination today.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
Both were in their first season with the hockey club.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)