What sort of recovery is Stamkos looking at?

Nov 11, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT

StamkosGetty Getty Images

Tampa Bay sniper Steve Stamkos suffered a broken right tibia during a collision in the Lightning’s 3-0 loss to Boston on Monday.

UPDATE: Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has confirmed Stamkos will undergo surgery to fix the break.

“At this point Steven will be out indefinitely,” Yzerman said in a statement. “The medical staff in Boston, in consultation with our team physicians, has made the decision to surgically repair the injury. The procedure is expected to take place [Tuesday] morning.”

Based on previous cases, it’s possible the two-time Maurice Richard Trophy winner could be out 3-6 months. Suffice to say, tibia breaks requiring surgery are serious — in 2001, then-Canucks forward Markus Naslund suffered one in a game against Buffalo.

From CBC:

Naslund, 27, broke both the tibia, the larger of two bones in the lower leg, and the fibia, in a game against the Buffalo Sabres. The left-winger spent the night in hospital in Buffalo, N.Y., before being flown to Vancouver on Saturday night.

[Dr. Bill] Regan explained the tibia takes 90 per cent of the weight when you walk. During the procedure, a rod was inserted down the middle of the bone and then had screws placed across it, inside the bone.

“That secured rotational stability of the fracture,” Regan said.

Naslund was alert after the operation and could leave hospital as early as Tuesday.

“There’s no need for him to have a cast,” said Regan. “He can start immediately with a range of motion of his knee and his ankle.

“He will be non-weight bearing for approximately 10 to 12 weeks. He can begin working on his muscles around his knee almost immediately.

“When the fracture has healed he should be ready to start skating. That is somewhere in the next three to four months.”

Granted, no two injuries are identical and it’s premature to suggest Stamkos’ recovery and/or rehab will mirror that of Naslund’s.

Another instance of a player fracturing his tibia and requiring surgery — Andrew Ference, with Boston during the 2008-09 campaign — was quite different. Ference suffered the break in mid-November and underwent surgery to place a pin in his leg, returning to the lineup two-and-a-half months later (missing 31 games in total).

Whatever the case may be, Stamkos’ Olympic chances have taken a definite hit. Team Canada will play its first game in 95 days and Yzerman needs to have his 23-man roster into the IIHF by the end of December. It could be incredibly risky to place Stamkos on that roster if he’s not fit to play.

1. esracerx46 - Nov 11, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Naslund broke both bones. Yeah no two injuries are the same. Because its not the same injury.

• pfhockey - Nov 11, 2013 at 7:02 PM

This is a reply to the other comment. Let’s begin. Campbell also in fact broke his right tibia last year, attempting to measure the toughness of a player from what you see rather than actually knowing the degree of pain. Stamkos had a broken nose in the playoffs but got up and played in the game 5 mins later. I never stated it was a hairline fracture, I was refuting what somebody else said, basically stating it was a broken tibia. Obviously you’ve misread my comment, so I forgive you. Plus it is almost certain he needs surgery.

• esracerx46 - Nov 12, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Yeah for some reason I lumped your comment about his toughness in with the dolt that speculated he wouldn’t need surgery because he attempted to skate off…unsuccessfully. Sorry.

2. mp1131211 - Nov 11, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Fibia…. anyone else notice that?

Stamkos tried to stand on his leg and it did hold him for a second or two, so probably just a partial or hairline fracture. He’s a beast. He’ll be back soon.

• pfhockey - Nov 11, 2013 at 5:08 PM

Broken Tibia. The guy tooka puck to the nose, I doubt he’d freak out over a hairline fracture.

• mp1131211 - Nov 11, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Yup. Same thing.

• mp1131211 - Nov 11, 2013 at 5:38 PM

That is a fracture and a break. Usually a broken means complete fracture, like where the bones is flopping around and might even puncture through the skin or at least is completely separated from the other. I doubt it was that… I mean he skated away on it for a second or two.

• esracerx46 - Nov 11, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Gregory Campbell finished his shift on a broken leg. How long was he out for? With Stamkos breaking one bone in his leg, and not the other. It is not only plausible, but more than likely the weight was transferred to the other bone. Also, it is possible the bone can very well be a clean break, yet not displaced. More than one person who is closer to the team than you are have mentioned surgery. Granted, that doesn’t for sure means he needs surgery. However, I’m more apt to believe he will need surgery because they know people or they themselves are close to the team. You however, are basing your hairline theory on the fact he tried to skate away. In case you missed it. He was taken off the ice on a stretcher. And to say he’s tough because he took a puck to the face is almost as dumb as saying its a hairline because he tried to skate away.

• mp1131211 - Nov 11, 2013 at 7:14 PM

The fibula can NOT, by laws of physics, take the rest of the weight that a potential snapped tibia wasn’t bearing, guaranteed, no question about it no matter what. It doesn’t work that way. And while I have no idea if they are doing surgery or not, I spend everyday rehabbing injuries including sports injuries. The only way that entire bone snapped was if the break was below the skate and the skate held it like a splint. I doubt it. Regardless, even if its a fracture, he may still opt for surgery especially if there is an accompanying soft tissue injury.

• esracerx46 - Nov 11, 2013 at 5:16 PM

I’m not a doctor, but I don’t think they’d be talking surgery if it was a hairline fracture.

• mp1131211 - Nov 11, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I thought surgery wasn’t confirmed ? Maybe I misread

• esracerx46 - Nov 11, 2013 at 5:40 PM

It hasn’t been. But to speculate its a hairline because he tried to stand is somewhat dim witted

• mp1131211 - Nov 11, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Ok. Whatever. You obviously have no clue what you are talking about since you stated above that its “not only plausible but more than likely” that his body did something not humanly possible. Anyway, I didn’t say it was a hairline fracture, I was saying it could be that or a partial fracture. PARTIAL FRACTURE. Look it up, genius.

The update now reads “The medical staff in Boston, in consultation with our team physicians, has made the decision to surgically repair the injury. The procedure is expected to take place [Tuesday] morning.” This statement implies there were options as absolutely necessary surgeries are not often “discussed.” If he had a complete fracture, open or closed, he’d been in surgery today, like now already. Its not as bad as it looked. They opted for surgery, but they had options, as is the case with most partial fractures. But of course, seeing that he is a pro athlete, they are going aggressive and playing it safe. He’ll probably get a post implanted. But what do I know, you have a twitter account and I don’t.

• mp1131211 - Nov 11, 2013 at 7:47 PM

And now this:

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper 1h
        Early indication is #Lightning Stamkos didn’t suffer overly complicated break and Sochi Olympics isn’t out of question in 2nd week of Feb.

Still think I’m dim witted?

• endusersolutions2013 - Nov 11, 2013 at 7:48 PM

I’ve had two hairline’s, one to my fibula (boot top fracture skiing). I had no sense immediately that anything was wrong other than it hurt, but soon realized I could not ski all the way down. Fibula in the limited weight bearing bone, so for him to try and skate tells you of his competitiveness/heart.

Wish him well.

• esracerx46 - Nov 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Just for the record. Again, I’m not a doctor. And I do not have a twitter account. If it was definite we need to have surgery tonight scenario. The doctors in Boston are still going to talk to Tampa Bay’s doctors. Could have been as short as he’s not leaving Boston without having surgery, that’s still a discussion. Is it not? You obviously know more about the human skeletal structure than I do. My basis for saying what I said was the article referenced a doctor saying the tibia bears 90% of the body’s weight. Meaning another bone in the leg takes up the remaining. Now, knowing that. Was it fair for me to come to the conclusion that a professional athlete with a high tolerance for pain can attempt to stand with a broken tibia. He was unsuccessful in doing so. So perhaps you are right. I just have a hard time wrapping my head on surgery for something thats a hairline or something not overly complicated. Again. Not a doctor so I don’t know the protocol for surgery. Would you even have surgery on a hairline like that? And if so, doesn’t that mean completely breaking the bone to insert the rod? I’m actually being sincere, I’m just a dumb welder.

• esracerx46 - Nov 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM

And actually you did say it could be a hairline fracture. “Probably just a partial fracture or hairline”. Your words, not mine. “Genius”

• brymck1 - Nov 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Yep. There’s no such bone as a fibia. :)

• mp1131211 - Nov 11, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Cute how they made it rhyme though.

3. steelers88 - Nov 11, 2013 at 5:10 PM

If he has what Nasuland had he will probably be out for the year. 10 weeks takes you to January 12 weeks takes you to February. Even when he does start skating he will still gave to get back into game shape. This is a franchise player and the TB Lightning should be smart about this. They can’t rush back Stamkos. I know if Crosby were going through this I would rather him miss this season if it meant that he would be healthier and more productive in the future.

4. steelers88 - Nov 11, 2013 at 5:20 PM

He could come back relatively soon but he could also be out for a while. It all depends on how severe the injury is. Obviously I hope he gets back soon as possible. I just don’t want to sound all negative.

5. joey4id - Nov 11, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Will this injury affect his speed and mobility? Will he be the same when he returns? He should be fine because he’s a young man. But! BTW, I didn’t like the way Hamilton took down Stamkos on that play considering they were at near full speed and a few feet from the net. Stamkos was on D and Hamilton was supporting the offense so I’m not sure what was going through Hamilton’s brain.

• dropthepuckeh - Nov 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Do you even watch hockey? You think Hamilton was to blame for Stankos getting hurt?? I’m guessing you just love pushing buttons to get a reaction because your mom doesn’t give you enough attention.

“Will this injury affect his speed and mobility? Will he be the same when he returns? He should be fine because he’s a young man. But!”

Reread that joey. But! Will the sun rise tomorrow? Is the earth round? Wait!

• joey4id - Nov 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I’m not going to respond to your insults, but, I will answer your questions. Yes! I watch hockey. 5 to 7 games a week. I don’t think Hamilton is to blame for Stamkos getting hurt. I do question how and why Stamkos was taken down when he was in defensive mode. But! Do you really know how he will cover despite having the best care and being young? Players themselves will tell you that they have doubts coming back from a serious injury until they get the first game in because you just can’t replicate game intensity during a practice.

• joey4id - Nov 12, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Not only did it look like a slew foot, but Hamilton actually put a shoulder into Stamkos 5 feet from the net. That was a dumb play by a rookie, and based on his comments reported in the newspaper, he knows it wasn’t a smart play on his part. You don’t knock down a guy when your skating full speed towards the net or the boards. Irresponsible to say the least.

• 24oreilly - Nov 11, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Some people just NEED someone to blame

• sabatimus - Nov 11, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Could you be any more stupid? Wait, I think I know the answer…

6. sabatimus - Nov 11, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Holy crap that really sucks. Most talented offensive player I’ve ever seen.

7. villi5ed - Nov 11, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I just hope he didn’t aggravate the injury by trying to walk it off (bravely) right after the play. There’s a reason
    why people are not to be moved after sustaining a trauma such as this one.

Great hockey player. Get well soon, SS.

8. steelers88 - Nov 11, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Joey4id.
    How can you possibly think that Hamilton would intentionally hurt Stamkos? Did you notice that no one went after Hamilton. It was a freak thing. I can tell you one thing Hamilton didn’t do it on purpose.

• joey4id - Nov 11, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Never said Hamilton intentionally tried to hurt Stamkos. In another article I wrote that TB may have a different opinion after they see the video replay.

• shortsxit34 - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Your exact words, “…then Hamilton’s left skate was behind Stamkos’ right skate just before he fell. It looked like an intentional slew foot.”

Even your claim that Hamilton’s skate was behind Stamkos’ is wrong.

• joey4id - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:16 PM

shortsxit34, It looked like an intentional slew foot. I recorded the game and watched the slow motion replay using the DVR “slow motion” feature, and it looked like a slew foot to me. Maybe it wasn’t….

• shortsxit34 - Nov 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Your posts get more ridiculous every time.

If you recorded the game and keep watching the play in slow motion, you would see that you’re wrong. I simply can’t comprehend how you can keep saying the same thing over and over again despite evidence to the contrary.

Seriously. There’s video embedded with this very article, and you still keep arguing.

9. florida727 - Nov 11, 2013 at 7:50 PM

COULD keep him out of the Olympics? It would take an act of God for him to be back in time for the Olympics.

10. blackhawks2010 - Nov 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Sorry to see, Stamkos is a class act and phenomenal player. He will be back and better than ever!

11. joey4id - Nov 12, 2013 at 5:57 PM

short & sexi t 34 say u, the video clearly shows Stamkos falling. How does an NHL player not try to avoid an obstacle such as the net? He didn’t just fall. Clearly you his skates turn in an attemp to stop. Just when that happens Hamilton shouldered him causing him to fall. If you can’t see it, then you have a problem, and you’re probably a sheep. A blind one, but nonetheless a sheep.

12. joey4id - Nov 12, 2013 at 6:01 PM

From the TB Times.

“It was just an unfortunate play,” Hamilton said. “I was just trying to drive the net. He was too fast for me, so he caught me and was in front of me. I don’t know what happened. He fell and hit the post pretty hard.”

Yep! Sounds a little guilty.

Cooper declined to comment on if he believes Hamilton contributed.

Usually means there is more to come.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches