Nov 11, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
Now that the 2013 class — Chris Chelios, Scott Niedermayer, Brendan Shanahan, Geraldine Heaney and Fred Shero — has been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, let’s take a look ahead to next year’s class and guess who’ll be enshrined.
(Note: for simplicity’s sake, we’ll focus on the four maximum spots reserved for ex-NHLers here. But feel free to write in female players and builders in the comments section.)
First-time eligible in ’14
Peter Forsberg, Dominik Hasek, Mike Modano, Mark Recchi, Doug Weight, Adam Foote
’13 eligible players
Rob Blake, Rod Brind’Amour, Bill Guerin, Paul Kariya, Markus Naslund, Keith Tkachuk
Eric Lindros, Phil Housley, Dave Andreychuk, Alex Mogilny, Jeremy Roenick, Claude Lemieux
For what it’s worth, my selections would be Hasek (the lockiest lock that ever locked), Forsberg, Modano and Recchi. I’m doing this while consciously ignoring my not-gonna-happen-but-I-want-‘em-to longshot picks: Claude Lemieux (four Stanley Cups with three different teams) and Rod “The Bod” Brind’Amour, who scored 1,184 points, played 1,484 games, won a Stanley Cup in 2006 when he captained the Hurricanes captured a pair of Selkes.
Also, his nickname was The Bod.
UPDATE: Forgot to switch the settings for multiple votes (four) rather than singular ones. That’s been changed. Apologies for the error.
Oct 21, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
After watching the first five games of the season from the press box.
Oct 21, 2014, 5:25 PM EDT
‘Canes the only winless team in the league.
Oct 21, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
For example, a really tough upcoming schedule. (But also goaltending and that defense.)
Oct 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EDT
“It’s adversity for us but we’re going to come through it,” says Jarrett Stoll.
Oct 21, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Oct 21, 2014, 3:20 PM EDT
“I don’t think there’s any question that we’re behind what the league has done.”
Oct 21, 2014, 3:01 PM EDT
Click to hear what those “values” entailed.
Oct 21, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Former Coyote faces his former team tonight.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Still no timeline for his return.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:24 PM EDT
Could Devan Dubnyk take a run at Mike Smith’s job?
Oct 21, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Pretty strong vote of confidence right there.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:34 PM EDT
Scott Darling recalled from AHL Rockford.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Skating on a line with Henrik Zetterberg and Justin Abdelkader.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:49 AM EDT
The flip-side being…what if they lose?
Oct 21, 2014, 11:44 AM EDT
“It’s something I really want to see,” said head coach Lindy Ruff.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
Another addition to the front office.
Oct 21, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
The top 2015 draft prospect has impressed the Islanders’ superstar.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT
He had been recovering from shoulder surgery.
Oct 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Both players have missed the start of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
And they’ll face Antti Raanta in goal.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 10
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)