Nov 11, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
Now that the 2013 class — Chris Chelios, Scott Niedermayer, Brendan Shanahan, Geraldine Heaney and Fred Shero — has been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, let’s take a look ahead to next year’s class and guess who’ll be enshrined.
(Note: for simplicity’s sake, we’ll focus on the four maximum spots reserved for ex-NHLers here. But feel free to write in female players and builders in the comments section.)
First-time eligible in ’14
Peter Forsberg, Dominik Hasek, Mike Modano, Mark Recchi, Doug Weight, Adam Foote
’13 eligible players
Rob Blake, Rod Brind’Amour, Bill Guerin, Paul Kariya, Markus Naslund, Keith Tkachuk
Eric Lindros, Phil Housley, Dave Andreychuk, Alex Mogilny, Jeremy Roenick, Claude Lemieux
For what it’s worth, my selections would be Hasek (the lockiest lock that ever locked), Forsberg, Modano and Recchi. I’m doing this while consciously ignoring my not-gonna-happen-but-I-want-’em-to longshot picks: Claude Lemieux (four Stanley Cups with three different teams) and Rod “The Bod” Brind’Amour, who scored 1,184 points, played 1,484 games, won a Stanley Cup in 2006 when he captained the Hurricanes captured a pair of Selkes.
Also, his nickname was The Bod.
UPDATE: Forgot to switch the settings for multiple votes (four) rather than singular ones. That’s been changed. Apologies for the error.
Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT
Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.
Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT
He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.
Apr 20, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
Can the Bolts get back in this series?
Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.
Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT
They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.
Apr 20, 2014, 3:12 PM EDT
The series is tied at 1-1.
Apr 20, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Chicago will have to find a way to get back into this series without one of its top defenseman.
Apr 20, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
It’s the second part of NBC’s doubleheader.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
He stopped 30 shots on Saturday.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
Pittsburgh dropped Game 2 against Columbus.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:23 PM EDT
The Bruins are one of the most effective teams in the league with the man advantage.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:31 AM EDT
He was pulled late in Friday’s game.
Apr 20, 2014, 11:15 AM EDT
The contest will start at 12:00 p.m. ET.
Apr 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
He has seven points in his first two playoff games.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
With a two-goal lead, Pittsburgh had four forwards on during a power play, which proved to be the turning point of this game.
Apr 20, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT
Meanwhile the Lightning are in a dangerous position.
Apr 20, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“You can’t defend on your heels,” Ryan Suter said.
Apr 20, 2014, 12:35 AM EDT
Colorado overcomes some strange officiating late in Game 2.
- WATCH LIVE: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montreal Canadiens (Game 3) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 28
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 51
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 82
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 23
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 41
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (82)