Nov 11, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT
Now that the 2013 class — Chris Chelios, Scott Niedermayer, Brendan Shanahan, Geraldine Heaney and Fred Shero — has been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, let’s take a look ahead to next year’s class and guess who’ll be enshrined.
(Note: for simplicity’s sake, we’ll focus on the four maximum spots reserved for ex-NHLers here. But feel free to write in female players and builders in the comments section.)
First-time eligible in ’14
Peter Forsberg, Dominik Hasek, Mike Modano, Mark Recchi, Doug Weight, Adam Foote
’13 eligible players
Rob Blake, Rod Brind’Amour, Bill Guerin, Paul Kariya, Markus Naslund, Keith Tkachuk
Eric Lindros, Phil Housley, Dave Andreychuk, Alex Mogilny, Jeremy Roenick, Claude Lemieux
For what it’s worth, my selections would be Hasek (the lockiest lock that ever locked), Forsberg, Modano and Recchi. I’m doing this while consciously ignoring my not-gonna-happen-but-I-want-’em-to longshot picks: Claude Lemieux (four Stanley Cups with three different teams) and Rod “The Bod” Brind’Amour, who scored 1,184 points, played 1,484 games, won a Stanley Cup in 2006 when he captained the Hurricanes captured a pair of Selkes.
Also, his nickname was The Bod.
UPDATE: Forgot to switch the settings for multiple votes (four) rather than singular ones. That’s been changed. Apologies for the error.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT
What role he has could depend on the Kings and league’s decision regarding Slava Voynov.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Scored 13 goals in 54 games last season.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He was sentenced in September, 2013.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Spent the last three seasons in the KHL.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
Buffalo also signed Cal O’Reilly, who played last season with the AHL Utica Comets.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He signed a six-year, $36 million deal with Columbus.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
“Joel is a quality veteran player who can score but also plays an extremely hard-nosed brand of hockey.”
Jul 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Could make things interesting next season.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Brings a wealth of success, experience at AHL, collegiate levels.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
$52.5 million extension.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
“This long-term commitment that assures he will be an important part of our team for years to come.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
“They gotta come in and knock somebody out of the box.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:12 PM EDT
A one-year, two-way deal for the ex-Islander.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Charlie Huddy, Pascal Vincent and Wade Flaherty all inked three-year extensions.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Expected to battle Brian Elliott for the starting role in St. Louis.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
“It’s an exciting time to be a part of this organization.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EDT
Bobby Sanguinetti to Buffalo; Sharks grab Mark Cundari.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Where he “contributed to the development of Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier and Martin Jones.”
Jul 3, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
How patiently will he wait?
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)