Poll: Who should be in the 2014 Hockey Hall of Fame class?

Nov 11, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT

Dominik Hasek AP

Now that the 2013 class — Chris Chelios, Scott Niedermayer, Brendan Shanahan, Geraldine Heaney and Fred Shero — has been inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, let’s take a look ahead to next year’s class and guess who’ll be enshrined.

(Note: for simplicity’s sake, we’ll focus on the four maximum spots reserved for ex-NHLers here. But feel free to write in female players and builders in the comments section.)

First-time eligible in ’14

Peter Forsberg, Dominik Hasek, Mike Modano, Mark Recchi, Doug Weight, Adam Foote

’13 eligible players

Rob Blake, Rod Brind’Amour, Bill Guerin, Paul Kariya, Markus Naslund, Keith Tkachuk

Others

Eric Lindros, Phil Housley, Dave Andreychuk, Alex Mogilny, Jeremy Roenick, Claude Lemieux

For what it’s worth, my selections would be Hasek (the lockiest lock that ever locked), Forsberg, Modano and Recchi. I’m doing this while consciously ignoring my not-gonna-happen-but-I-want-‘em-to longshot picks: Claude Lemieux (four Stanley Cups with three different teams) and Rod “The Bod” Brind’Amour, who scored 1,184 points, played 1,484 games, won a Stanley Cup in 2006 when he captained the Hurricanes captured a pair of Selkes.

Also, his nickname was The Bod.

UPDATE: Forgot to switch the settings for multiple votes (four) rather than singular ones. That’s been changed. Apologies for the error.

Related: Chelios, Niedermayer, Shanahan highlight ’13 Hall of Fame induction ceremony

1. lowenni - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Hasek has to be the number one candidate. I’d put Forsberg, Modano, and Housley right after him but Hasek is the only eligible candidate who is truly one of the best ever at his particular position out of all the candidates.

• billsin20xx - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:14 PM

It’s too bad though that Hasek is probably the reason Regier still has his job!

FIRE DARCY!!!

• 3yardsandacloud - Nov 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Why is everyone so big on Forsberg? He was a great player, but his injuries slowed him down for a good chunk of his career. After 2003, he really wasn’t the same player.

2. jimw81 - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:51 PM

Forsberg and Hasek are locks

3. govtminion - Nov 11, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Oh man… tough choices. Hasek is a no-brainer, Modano and Housley would be right behind him. Recchi would be a good one as well. Forsberg and Foote would come after that for me (and I’m an Avs fan!)- hard to say, but it’s just that good of a year for this. And that’s just from the newly-eligible list!

4. Stiller43 - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Hasek, forsberg, modano…after that? Tough call…lets just say for what he did for MY PENS. Billy Guerin

• braddavery - Nov 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Guerin over Recchi? WTH???

5. ethanmacleod1685 - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:17 PM

When will Stamkos be eligible………. (Oh SNAP)

Too soon?

• canucks30 - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:29 PM

One of the dumbest comments I’ve seen in some time. And that’s saying something in a message board that features Blomfeld.

• ethanmacleod1685 - Nov 12, 2013 at 2:00 AM

I know, but I couldn’t resist

6. jb8588 - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:21 PM

Hasek, Modano, Forsberg & Andreychuk would be my picks. Amazing how a 600+ goal scorer like Andy has been left out.

7. canucks30 - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:25 PM

I don’t care if I get flamed for it, but I think Lindros belongs in the HHOF.

Especially with Cam Neely and Pavel Bure being elected.

I don’t think he will get in any time soon though.

8. canucks30 - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:26 PM

I’m a little surprised that Hasek is eligible.

Wasn’t he playing overseas and attempting to make a comeback as recently as last season?

• braddavery - Nov 12, 2013 at 2:02 PM

He’ll still be 5 years removed from NHL action. I wish he would come back this season. lol

9. nothanksimdriving123 - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM

The polldaddy poll on this page seems to allow only one pick, while the Hall voters get more than one. Dumb poll.

• canucks30 - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM

It’s a Halford article. What do you expect? He ain’t no Jason Brough after all.

• Mike Halford - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM

It’s been fixed!

• Mike Halford - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM

It’s been fixed.

10. mikemaric - Nov 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Hasek, Forsberg, Lindros and Marvin the Martian (I mean Housley).

Having Lindros and Forsberg in the same class would be interesting.

11. hockinj25 - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Hasek, Forsberg, Modano, Lindros.

12. canucks30 - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Hasek, Modano, Forsberg, and Lindros.

Honourable mention to Dr. Recchi.

13. dumbassgreg - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM

hasak,forsberg and blake. fourth should be sergei makarov unlikely though. It will probably be modano. I would vote for roenick ,lindros,kariya,vachon and housley. all before modano.

seriously foote,recchi and guerin are mentioned as possible hall of famers.

14. eagles512 - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Agree Lindros should be in. Granted injuries cut short his career but he was the best player in hockey for a while.

15. gmenfan1982 - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:40 PM

It’s completely stupid that only 4 players get in each year. All of these players including ’13 eligible players deserve to be in the HoF.

16. muckleflugga - Nov 12, 2013 at 12:49 AM

forsberg, hasek and modano, on looks if nothing else…

the rest were journeyman plugs…pickings are lean if these are candidates

foote and lemieux, are you kidding…what standard are they using?

• canucks30 - Nov 12, 2013 at 1:52 AM

I dare you to call Tkachuk and Roenick “JOURNEYMAN PLUGS” to their face

• braddavery - Nov 12, 2013 at 3:08 PM

You must not know much about hockey.

17. mustbechris - Nov 12, 2013 at 1:41 AM

LINDROS

18. tn16 - Nov 12, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Naslaund linden and 2 other people I don’t care, though some say I could be bias

19. hockeyflow33 - Nov 12, 2013 at 2:04 AM

I would think Peter Forsberg, Dominik Hasek and Mike Modano are all consensus locks with Recchi being the best of the remaining players.

The other guys are all border-line HoFers where you can make a solid case for and against. Maybe I was too young for much of his career but Andreychuk always struck me as the Fred McGriff-type where his numbers were based on longevity more than greatness.

20. broadstreetsbaddest88 - Nov 12, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Hasek Forsberg Recchi and my favorite player of all time Rod brind’Amour. Lindros deserves to be there but I can’t justify takin off one of the names I mentioned considering all they accomplished especially all have at least one or multiple cups. Would be awesome to see an all flyers star studded induction with Lindros Forsberg Recchi and Brind’Amour

21. nothanksimdriving123 - Nov 12, 2013 at 4:24 AM

Forsberg, Hasek, Modano, maybe Housley, Andreychuk and Brind’Amour. My guide is was s/he one of the dominant players of their generation? If you have to study their stats really hard and ponder it for more than a minute, then probably not.

22. thecheeman - Nov 12, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I just googled Rod “The Bod” Brind’Amour.

Would this be a good time to come to start the first real discussion on steroids in the NHL?

23. hockeydon10 - Nov 12, 2013 at 9:00 AM

Hasek – Lock, of course.
    Andreychuk – 640 goals
    Modano – Best American forward ever, 500+ goals, 1300+ points

The rest I’m not sure about. Probably Recchi with his 577 goals and 3 cups that he was a significant contributor to.

I just don’t see the argument for other players edging these four out. Forsberg was a force for sure, but 249 goals?

24. elwaysagenius - Nov 12, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Hasek, Andreychuk, Modano, Forsberg.

25. braddavery - Nov 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Where the heck is the Recchi love??? He is one of the best all-around players of all-time! MUCH more deserving than Forsberg. Hasek, Recchi, Modano and Andreychuk are my votes. It still blows my mind that Housley isn’t in. I would also vote for Tkachuk and Roenick if I could.

26. braddavery - Nov 12, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Mark Recchi, along with Gordie Howe, is one of only two players in hockey HISTORY to score 575+ goals, score 1,500+ points, have 1,000+ penalty minutes and score 200 or more power play goals. That along with three Stanley Cup titles with three different teams and playing in the 4th most games all-time while still managing a 15%+ shooting percentage should make him a 1st ballot mortal LOCK. The Wrecking Ball was amazing!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches