Nov 11, 2013, 6:45 PM EST
Struggling Habs forward David Desharnais has faced his fair share of critics this season, but his latest is something else.
On Sunday night, Montreal mayor Denis Coderre vented his frustrations with Desharnais via Twitter, with this:
Allo? Un billet simple pour Hamilton pour David Desharnais svp…. #HabsDC
— DenisCoderre (@DenisCoderre) November 11, 2013
“Hello? Can we get a one-way ticket to Hamilton for David Desharnais please …”
Hamilton is, of course, Montreal’s American Hockey League affiliate.
“I’m very, very upset about that,” Pacioretty said, as per CBC.”What, do you think he’s gonna coach our team tomorrow? That’s embarrassing.”
Montreal head coach Michel Therrien, who’s been displeased with Desharnais’ production all year long, defended his player by saying the mayor’s comments were “inappropriate.”
Desharnais is under fire due to his lack of production, mangified by the face he’s in the first year of a four-year, $14 million extension.
The diminutive center burst onto the scene in ’11-12, scoring a career-high 60 points in 81 games, finishing 24th in the NHL with 44 assists (more than Patrick Kane, Jordan Eberle and Patrice Bergeron). That earned him the big-money extension, which has raised expectations and demands.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 8
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 32
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)