Nov 11, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Struggling Habs forward David Desharnais has faced his fair share of critics this season, but his latest is something else.
On Sunday night, Montreal mayor Denis Coderre vented his frustrations with Desharnais via Twitter, with this:
Allo? Un billet simple pour Hamilton pour David Desharnais svp…. #HabsDC
— DenisCoderre (@DenisCoderre) November 11, 2013
“Hello? Can we get a one-way ticket to Hamilton for David Desharnais please …”
Hamilton is, of course, Montreal’s American Hockey League affiliate.
“I’m very, very upset about that,” Pacioretty said, as per CBC.”What, do you think he’s gonna coach our team tomorrow? That’s embarrassing.”
Montreal head coach Michel Therrien, who’s been displeased with Desharnais’ production all year long, defended his player by saying the mayor’s comments were “inappropriate.”
Desharnais is under fire due to his lack of production, mangified by the face he’s in the first year of a four-year, $14 million extension.
The diminutive center burst onto the scene in ’11-12, scoring a career-high 60 points in 81 games, finishing 24th in the NHL with 44 assists (more than Patrick Kane, Jordan Eberle and Patrice Bergeron). That earned him the big-money extension, which has raised expectations and demands.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 74
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 32
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (75)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)