Nov 11, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT
Briere, 36, will return to the lineup on Tuesday to take on the Lightning after missing the last 10 games with a concussion while Emelin, the team’s leading hitter from a year ago, will make his season debut this weekend after missing the entire campaign recovering from offseason knee surgery.
“Over the past five days, I’ve been pushing harder and harder each day,” Briere told the team website. “I feel ready to come back, though I’ll still have to meet with the doctors, the team’s medical staff and the coaches.
“There’s no doubt I’m feeling better and ready to play.”
As for Emelin, his return will finally give Montreal its projected top-six defense. The Russian rearguard, who recently signed a four-year, $16.4 million extension with the club, has developed a reputation as a hard-hitting guy that can log big minutes and take on the opposition’s top forwards.
Montreal plays twice this weekend — Friday in Columbus, Saturday at home against the Rangers — and it’s unclear at the moment which game Emelin will dress for (if not both.)
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)