Nov 11, 2013, 9:10 PM EST
Briere, 36, will return to the lineup on Tuesday to take on the Lightning after missing the last 10 games with a concussion while Emelin, the team’s leading hitter from a year ago, will make his season debut this weekend after missing the entire campaign recovering from offseason knee surgery.
“Over the past five days, I’ve been pushing harder and harder each day,” Briere told the team website. “I feel ready to come back, though I’ll still have to meet with the doctors, the team’s medical staff and the coaches.
“There’s no doubt I’m feeling better and ready to play.”
As for Emelin, his return will finally give Montreal its projected top-six defense. The Russian rearguard, who recently signed a four-year, $16.4 million extension with the club, has developed a reputation as a hard-hitting guy that can log big minutes and take on the opposition’s top forwards.
Montreal plays twice this weekend — Friday in Columbus, Saturday at home against the Rangers — and it’s unclear at the moment which game Emelin will dress for (if not both.)
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)