Nov 11, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Anaheim has signed veteran center David Steckel to a one-year contract through the 2013-14 season, the club announced on Monday.
Steckel, 31, had been playing with Anaheim’s AHL affiliate in Norfolk after leaving Minnesota’s AHL affiliate in Iowa a couple of weeks ago. He’s inked a two-way deal with the Ducks and will apparently stay in Norfolk for the time being.
Steckel has experience with the Ducks and head coach Bruce Boudreau, having played for Anaheim last season (prior to that, he spent five years in Washington under Boudreau.)
He also signs at a time where the banged-up Ducks are slowly getting back to healthy, but still thin at the forward position.
Matt Beleskey, Saku Koivu and Jakob Silfverberg are all on injured reserve, while No. 1 center Ryan Getzalf missed Sunday’s win over Vancouver with an upper-body ailment. Beleskey might return soon — the Ducks just sent him to Norfolk on a conditioning assignment — but it’s unclear when the others will return to action.
A faceoff specialist with size (6-foot-6), Steckel should have a good crack of getting games with Anaheim. He put up six points in 21 regular season games for the Ducks last year, and two points in seven playoff appearances.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)