Nov 11, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Anaheim has signed veteran center David Steckel to a one-year contract through the 2013-14 season, the club announced on Monday.
Steckel, 31, had been playing with Anaheim’s AHL affiliate in Norfolk after leaving Minnesota’s AHL affiliate in Iowa a couple of weeks ago. He’s inked a two-way deal with the Ducks and will apparently stay in Norfolk for the time being.
Steckel has experience with the Ducks and head coach Bruce Boudreau, having played for Anaheim last season (prior to that, he spent five years in Washington under Boudreau.)
He also signs at a time where the banged-up Ducks are slowly getting back to healthy, but still thin at the forward position.
Matt Beleskey, Saku Koivu and Jakob Silfverberg are all on injured reserve, while No. 1 center Ryan Getzalf missed Sunday’s win over Vancouver with an upper-body ailment. Beleskey might return soon — the Ducks just sent him to Norfolk on a conditioning assignment — but it’s unclear when the others will return to action.
A faceoff specialist with size (6-foot-6), Steckel should have a good crack of getting games with Anaheim. He put up six points in 21 regular season games for the Ducks last year, and two points in seven playoff appearances.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 7
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 11
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)