Nov 11, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Anaheim has signed veteran center David Steckel to a one-year contract through the 2013-14 season, the club announced on Monday.
Steckel, 31, had been playing with Anaheim’s AHL affiliate in Norfolk after leaving Minnesota’s AHL affiliate in Iowa a couple of weeks ago. He’s inked a two-way deal with the Ducks and will apparently stay in Norfolk for the time being.
Steckel has experience with the Ducks and head coach Bruce Boudreau, having played for Anaheim last season (prior to that, he spent five years in Washington under Boudreau.)
He also signs at a time where the banged-up Ducks are slowly getting back to healthy, but still thin at the forward position.
Matt Beleskey, Saku Koivu and Jakob Silfverberg are all on injured reserve, while No. 1 center Ryan Getzalf missed Sunday’s win over Vancouver with an upper-body ailment. Beleskey might return soon — the Ducks just sent him to Norfolk on a conditioning assignment — but it’s unclear when the others will return to action.
A faceoff specialist with size (6-foot-6), Steckel should have a good crack of getting games with Anaheim. He put up six points in 21 regular season games for the Ducks last year, and two points in seven playoff appearances.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 45
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)