Nov 11, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Anaheim has signed veteran center David Steckel to a one-year contract through the 2013-14 season, the club announced on Monday.
Steckel, 31, had been playing with Anaheim’s AHL affiliate in Norfolk after leaving Minnesota’s AHL affiliate in Iowa a couple of weeks ago. He’s inked a two-way deal with the Ducks and will apparently stay in Norfolk for the time being.
Steckel has experience with the Ducks and head coach Bruce Boudreau, having played for Anaheim last season (prior to that, he spent five years in Washington under Boudreau.)
He also signs at a time where the banged-up Ducks are slowly getting back to healthy, but still thin at the forward position.
Matt Beleskey, Saku Koivu and Jakob Silfverberg are all on injured reserve, while No. 1 center Ryan Getzalf missed Sunday’s win over Vancouver with an upper-body ailment. Beleskey might return soon — the Ducks just sent him to Norfolk on a conditioning assignment — but it’s unclear when the others will return to action.
A faceoff specialist with size (6-foot-6), Steckel should have a good crack of getting games with Anaheim. He put up six points in 21 regular season games for the Ducks last year, and two points in seven playoff appearances.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 2
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 71
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (71)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)