Nov 11, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
Anaheim has signed veteran center David Steckel to a one-year contract through the 2013-14 season, the club announced on Monday.
Steckel, 31, had been playing with Anaheim’s AHL affiliate in Norfolk after leaving Minnesota’s AHL affiliate in Iowa a couple of weeks ago. He’s inked a two-way deal with the Ducks and will apparently stay in Norfolk for the time being.
Steckel has experience with the Ducks and head coach Bruce Boudreau, having played for Anaheim last season (prior to that, he spent five years in Washington under Boudreau.)
He also signs at a time where the banged-up Ducks are slowly getting back to healthy, but still thin at the forward position.
Matt Beleskey, Saku Koivu and Jakob Silfverberg are all on injured reserve, while No. 1 center Ryan Getzalf missed Sunday’s win over Vancouver with an upper-body ailment. Beleskey might return soon — the Ducks just sent him to Norfolk on a conditioning assignment — but it’s unclear when the others will return to action.
A faceoff specialist with size (6-foot-6), Steckel should have a good crack of getting games with Anaheim. He put up six points in 21 regular season games for the Ducks last year, and two points in seven playoff appearances.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 6
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 46
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)