Bryzgalov joins Oilers’ AHL affiliate, ready for ‘good opportunity’

Nov 11, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT

Bryz

On Monday, Ilya Bryzgalov practiced with his new AHL Oklahoma teammates in preparation for his first game — Tuesday’s 10:35 a.m. local time (yes, you read that right) puck drop against the San Antonio Rampage.

The plan, it seems, is to give Bryzgalov a series of games in quick succession to get him up to NHL speed, then join the Oilers. The Barons play tomorrow morning (again, that’s right) before hosting Abbotsford in a pair of exhibition games this weekend.

“It’s a good opportunity for me to play a few games, get some good practice with good players to get some shots and get myself in good shape,” Bryzgalov said, noting that he has some experience with morning affairs. “I played for years in the minors with the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks and they had those kinds of games.”

Assuming Bryzgalov can cram in a week’s worth of practices and three games by Sunday, it’s possible the Oilers could recall him in time for next Tuesday’s game, a home date against Columbus — where he’d have a chance to go up against former Flyers goaltending mate and reigning Vezina winner, Sergei Bobrovsky.

1. kingsfan93 - Nov 11, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Bryzgalov, I respect you as a professional athlete, that I know you have what it takes to be that go to guy in net. I’ve seen you play when you were with the Ducks and Coyotes. That you played exceptional. Then when you went to the Flyers, I thought they were lucky in getting someone like you, but I don’t know what all went wrong. But for whatever it was it happen for a reason. Just go to the Oilers and be yourself and redeem yourself.

Don’t worry what the media, fans, or whoever else that may think different of you because it is not about what they may think. It is about what you think and know you are capable of.

Good luck!

• 950003cups - Nov 12, 2013 at 3:38 PM

You arfe aware that Ilya Bryzgalov isn’t gonna read your “touching” note to him. He wouldn’t understand it even if he attempted it.

But just in case, if one of his friends were to call him up and translate it to him, his response would likely be,

“Tank u mister 93. I am not give a care for media think. I have 51 milinz dolerz. I am fear only ze bear! I have humongous dream to go visit new solar system.”

2. muckleflugga - Nov 12, 2013 at 1:57 AM

kingsfan93…nice comment

best of luck to ilya

should he find his form, those temperamental oilers could find their fire and start the long-awaited turnaround. there is nothing more deflating to fragile teams on the cusp of being contenders than weak goaltending complemented by management unwilling to make changes [ wings ]

lowe and mactavish and eakins could be seen as geniuses by christmas…?

3. kastout11 - Nov 12, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I have been a Flyers fan my entire life, and unlike most Flyers fans, I am actually a Bryzgalov supporter. I think the media and pressure in Philly really got to him, and he could not handle it. I agree with the move to buy out his contract, it just did not work out. I really hope he does well and is successful in Edmonton.

• goodolejr - Nov 12, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I’m in the same boat. I loved Bryz just for how he is as a person. He was pretty bad while he was here, yes, but he definitely did not deserve the treatment he got. I really think the problem was that he was too intelligent for the Philly media (and sadly most of our fanbase) to comprehend. Because the guy had an interest in how the universe works he was labelled a nutcase, crazy and whatever other 3rd grade insult they could hurl his way. It really was sad the way he was treated here. Our media was so close to completely destroying a guy’s career because he was intelligent. That is absolutely ridiculous.

I’ve been a Flyers fan all my life but if Bryz was playing against any team other than the Flyers for the cup, I would be rooting for him all the way.

4. statsdolie - Nov 12, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I wish Bryzgalov the best but question his mental make up to cope with high expectations in a hockey town. He was able to be productive and hide in a small market in Phoenix let’s see if he jas learned from his past.

• guitarhunterdude - Nov 12, 2013 at 11:55 AM

He was good in Phoenix because he had a great defensive system in front of him. In Philly he didn’t, and he got eaten alive. I wish him the best of luck in Edmonton, but I fear it’s just going to be more of the same.

• 950003cups - Nov 12, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Mason is also getting walloped with bad defense in front of him. Philly needed, in THE WORST WAY to have gotten Shea Weber. With the money they offered him, and the compensation that was to follow, he was basically a flyer until Nashville did the unthinkable and matched the offer. Expect Philly to go after PK Subban this off season. Maybe even Justin Schultz. They’re desperate. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go after Eric Gelinas from NJ this year.

• devilsarethebest - Nov 12, 2013 at 6:07 PM

You were OK so far but you went way to far when you said Gelinas. Don’t even think about that

• 950003cups - Nov 12, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Don’t discount Gelinas as a coveted Dman. His shot is (since this is a Bryz post) humongous big! He can skate and hit too. Defensively, he’s been solid.

5. withseidelinn - Nov 12, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Is this not the same situation that he was in with Philly? Good offense, horrible defense, expected to save the team. Don’t see this working out.

6. nhstateline - Nov 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM

His book should deal with what it’s like to be the smartest guy in the room because it certainly seems like he’s smarter than any of the media he had to deal with and a lot of the players. For some reason, much of the hockey media couldn’t get its head around the idea that he was interested in astronomy and cosmology. These are normal intellectual interests no matter what the media that covers sports thinks.

• goodolejr - Nov 12, 2013 at 12:54 PM

What was portrayed by the rest of the NHL media was nothing compared to our own here in Philly. I am actually surprised some of these asshats can actually construct properly written articles. Not to mention one of them, after Bryz was bought out and didn’t want to really address the media, decided to tweet a whole bunch of “off the record” comments from Bryz. That alone was just a disgusting display of unprofessionalism. That guy ended up losing his job at a later time and that was probably the only time I’ve ever felt good about someone losing their job. It’s hard enough being a Philly sports fan with how bad our teams are right now, but it’s even worse when you hear about it from a bunch of morons.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches