Nov 11, 2013, 2:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has confirmed Stamkos will undergo surgery to fix the break.
“At this point Steven will be out indefinitely,” Yzerman said in a statement. “The medical staff in Boston, in consultation with our team physicians, has made the decision to surgically repair the injury. The procedure is expected to take place [Tuesday] morning.”
Here’s video and a GIF of the incident:
Erik Erlendsson is the Tampa Bay Lightning beat writer for the Tampa Tribune.
This, of course, is potentially awful news for the Lightning, but also for Team Canada, for whom Stamkos was a lock to play for at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
If the above fears are true — Stamkos was taken to a local hospital for X-rays — this would be the first serious injury of his career. The 23-year-old is currently tied with the Blues’ Alexander Steen for the most goals (14) in the NHL.
Update (3:57 p.m. ET)
TSN’s Aaron Ward is reporting Stamkos has a broken tibia that will require surgery. No timeline for recovery provided.
Update (4:44 p.m. ET)
The Lightning have confirmed Stamkos suffered a broken right tibia, and will be out indefinitely.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)