Nov 11, 2013, 2:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has confirmed Stamkos will undergo surgery to fix the break.
“At this point Steven will be out indefinitely,” Yzerman said in a statement. “The medical staff in Boston, in consultation with our team physicians, has made the decision to surgically repair the injury. The procedure is expected to take place [Tuesday] morning.”
Here’s video and a GIF of the incident:
Erik Erlendsson is the Tampa Bay Lightning beat writer for the Tampa Tribune.
This, of course, is potentially awful news for the Lightning, but also for Team Canada, for whom Stamkos was a lock to play for at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
If the above fears are true — Stamkos was taken to a local hospital for X-rays — this would be the first serious injury of his career. The 23-year-old is currently tied with the Blues’ Alexander Steen for the most goals (14) in the NHL.
Update (3:57 p.m. ET)
TSN’s Aaron Ward is reporting Stamkos has a broken tibia that will require surgery. No timeline for recovery provided.
Update (4:44 p.m. ET)
The Lightning have confirmed Stamkos suffered a broken right tibia, and will be out indefinitely.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)