Nov 11, 2013, 2:41 PM EDT
UPDATE: Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has confirmed Stamkos will undergo surgery to fix the break.
“At this point Steven will be out indefinitely,” Yzerman said in a statement. “The medical staff in Boston, in consultation with our team physicians, has made the decision to surgically repair the injury. The procedure is expected to take place [Tuesday] morning.”
Here’s video and a GIF of the incident:
Erik Erlendsson is the Tampa Bay Lightning beat writer for the Tampa Tribune.
This, of course, is potentially awful news for the Lightning, but also for Team Canada, for whom Stamkos was a lock to play for at the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
If the above fears are true — Stamkos was taken to a local hospital for X-rays — this would be the first serious injury of his career. The 23-year-old is currently tied with the Blues’ Alexander Steen for the most goals (14) in the NHL.
Update (3:57 p.m. ET)
TSN’s Aaron Ward is reporting Stamkos has a broken tibia that will require surgery. No timeline for recovery provided.
Update (4:44 p.m. ET)
The Lightning have confirmed Stamkos suffered a broken right tibia, and will be out indefinitely.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)