Nov 11, 2013, 7:03 PM EDT
Looks as though Steve Stamkos‘ broken right tibia won’t keep him off the Canadian roster.
Team Canada head coach Mike Babcock said Stamkos will be on the 25-man list for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, according to Steve Simmons of the Toronto Sun. Stamkos broke his tibia in Monday’s 3-0 loss and will undergo surgery to repair it on Tuesday. It’s unclear how much time he’ll miss recovering.
Canada, the defending gold medalist, will have to submit its provisional rosters — made up of 22 skaters and three goalies — by Dec. 31.
Here’s more, from the IIHF:
All participating national associations will submit their “long lists” of rosters on October 1, 2013 (both men’s and women’s) while on the men’s side there will be an additional no-later-than December 31, 2013 deadline of submission of provisional 22 skaters and 3 goaltenders playing rosters. The October 1 “long lists” will not be made public.
The final and official playing rosters will be registered at the Olympic tournament directorate meetings, one day before the start of the respective events. On the women’s side the final roster registration will be on February 7, 2014, the men’s registration on February 11, 2014.
Canada could carry Stamkos on the roster right up until February, then make a decision on his ability to participate — sort of like what it did in 2010 with Ryan Getzlaf and Jeff Carter. Getzlaf suffered an ankle injury just prior to the games; Carter, tabbed as Getzlaf’s fill-in, was so close to becoming a replacement player he was actually flown to Vancouver on GM Steve Yzerman’s orders.
Stamkos has represented Canada internationally at the junior and World Championship level, but never at the Olympics. He was named to Canada’s “stand-by” list for the ’10 games.
Here’s more on the tibia break, from Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos:
Early indication is #Lightning Stamkos didn’t suffer overly complicated break and Sochi Olympics isn’t out of question in 2nd week of Feb.
— Nick Kypreos (@RealKyper) November 11, 2013
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)