Nov 10, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
Jaromir Jagr‘s fifth goal of the 2013-14 season served as the 1,700th regular season point of his NHL career, making him the eighth player in league history to cross that barrier. He sits eighth all-time in points behind his teammate Mario Lemieux (1,723) with plenty of time to add to his totals against the Nashville Predators on Sunday.
Fittingly, the goal was a deft showing of power and skill. It’s also fitting that he solidified his place as his team’s top point producer (in this case, the New Jersey Devils, with 12 points in 17 games*):
Update: Jagr also assisted on Travis Zajac‘s 100th career goal to give him 1,701 career points and 13 in 2013-14.
That goal also leaves him 14 short of another milestone: the 700-goal club.
He can jump quite a few spots in the all-time goal-scoring category, depending upon how he finishes this season:
3. Brett Hull – 741
4. Marcel Dionne – 731
5. Phil Esposito – 717
6. Mike Gartner – 708
7. Mark Messier – 694
8. Steve Yzerman – 692
9. Mario Lemieux – 690
10. Jagr – 686
He also needs to hold off Teemu Selanne, who’s 11th all-time with 678.
* – Again, that total could grow as Sunday goes along.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)