Nov 10, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
Jaromir Jagr‘s fifth goal of the 2013-14 season served as the 1,700th regular season point of his NHL career, making him the eighth player in league history to cross that barrier. He sits eighth all-time in points behind his teammate Mario Lemieux (1,723) with plenty of time to add to his totals against the Nashville Predators on Sunday.
Fittingly, the goal was a deft showing of power and skill. It’s also fitting that he solidified his place as his team’s top point producer (in this case, the New Jersey Devils, with 12 points in 17 games*):
Update: Jagr also assisted on Travis Zajac‘s 100th career goal to give him 1,701 career points and 13 in 2013-14.
That goal also leaves him 14 short of another milestone: the 700-goal club.
He can jump quite a few spots in the all-time goal-scoring category, depending upon how he finishes this season:
3. Brett Hull – 741
4. Marcel Dionne – 731
5. Phil Esposito – 717
6. Mike Gartner – 708
7. Mark Messier – 694
8. Steve Yzerman – 692
9. Mario Lemieux – 690
10. Jagr – 686
He also needs to hold off Teemu Selanne, who’s 11th all-time with 678.
* – Again, that total could grow as Sunday goes along.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 23
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 31
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)