Nov 10, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
Jaromir Jagr‘s fifth goal of the 2013-14 season served as the 1,700th regular season point of his NHL career, making him the eighth player in league history to cross that barrier. He sits eighth all-time in points behind his teammate Mario Lemieux (1,723) with plenty of time to add to his totals against the Nashville Predators on Sunday.
Fittingly, the goal was a deft showing of power and skill. It’s also fitting that he solidified his place as his team’s top point producer (in this case, the New Jersey Devils, with 12 points in 17 games*):
Update: Jagr also assisted on Travis Zajac‘s 100th career goal to give him 1,701 career points and 13 in 2013-14.
That goal also leaves him 14 short of another milestone: the 700-goal club.
He can jump quite a few spots in the all-time goal-scoring category, depending upon how he finishes this season:
3. Brett Hull – 741
4. Marcel Dionne – 731
5. Phil Esposito – 717
6. Mike Gartner – 708
7. Mark Messier – 694
8. Steve Yzerman – 692
9. Mario Lemieux – 690
10. Jagr – 686
He also needs to hold off Teemu Selanne, who’s 11th all-time with 678.
* – Again, that total could grow as Sunday goes along.
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 0
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 12
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)