Nov 10, 2013, 7:25 PM EDT
Jaromir Jagr‘s fifth goal of the 2013-14 season served as the 1,700th regular season point of his NHL career, making him the eighth player in league history to cross that barrier. He sits eighth all-time in points behind his teammate Mario Lemieux (1,723) with plenty of time to add to his totals against the Nashville Predators on Sunday.
Fittingly, the goal was a deft showing of power and skill. It’s also fitting that he solidified his place as his team’s top point producer (in this case, the New Jersey Devils, with 12 points in 17 games*):
Update: Jagr also assisted on Travis Zajac‘s 100th career goal to give him 1,701 career points and 13 in 2013-14.
That goal also leaves him 14 short of another milestone: the 700-goal club.
He can jump quite a few spots in the all-time goal-scoring category, depending upon how he finishes this season:
3. Brett Hull – 741
4. Marcel Dionne – 731
5. Phil Esposito – 717
6. Mike Gartner – 708
7. Mark Messier – 694
8. Steve Yzerman – 692
9. Mario Lemieux – 690
10. Jagr – 686
He also needs to hold off Teemu Selanne, who’s 11th all-time with 678.
* – Again, that total could grow as Sunday goes along.
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 14
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)