Nov 10, 2013, 7:25 PM EST
Jaromir Jagr‘s fifth goal of the 2013-14 season served as the 1,700th regular season point of his NHL career, making him the eighth player in league history to cross that barrier. He sits eighth all-time in points behind his teammate Mario Lemieux (1,723) with plenty of time to add to his totals against the Nashville Predators on Sunday.
Fittingly, the goal was a deft showing of power and skill. It’s also fitting that he solidified his place as his team’s top point producer (in this case, the New Jersey Devils, with 12 points in 17 games*):
Update: Jagr also assisted on Travis Zajac‘s 100th career goal to give him 1,701 career points and 13 in 2013-14.
That goal also leaves him 14 short of another milestone: the 700-goal club.
He can jump quite a few spots in the all-time goal-scoring category, depending upon how he finishes this season:
3. Brett Hull – 741
4. Marcel Dionne – 731
5. Phil Esposito – 717
6. Mike Gartner – 708
7. Mark Messier – 694
8. Steve Yzerman – 692
9. Mario Lemieux – 690
10. Jagr – 686
He also needs to hold off Teemu Selanne, who’s 11th all-time with 678.
* – Again, that total could grow as Sunday goes along.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)