Nov 10, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
For better or worse, it seems like the Nashville Predators are sticking with Carter Hutton until Pekka Rinne shakes off his frightening hip infection. Head coach Barry Trotz decided to give him the vote of confidence by starting him on Sunday despite the fact that he only lasted about eight and a half minutes against the Winnipeg Jets on Friday.
“I think you have to show confidence if they’re able to rebound,” Trotz said. “But I think it falls on the player too … can you rebound?”
It’s easy to throw a goalie under the bus when an opposing team gains an early lead, especially when the numbers are as ugly as Hutton’s have been lately. The most glaring numbers come from last night – three goals allowed on eight shots before he was yanked – but his overall numbers aren’t great, either.
Even so, Trotz lauded his character in a “trying circumstance.”
Decide for yourself if Hutton, 27, was mostly to blame for the goals he allowed last night:
He’ll get a chance to redeem himself – and show that he can rebound – against the New Jersey Devils tonight.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)