Nov 10, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
For better or worse, it seems like the Nashville Predators are sticking with Carter Hutton until Pekka Rinne shakes off his frightening hip infection. Head coach Barry Trotz decided to give him the vote of confidence by starting him on Sunday despite the fact that he only lasted about eight and a half minutes against the Winnipeg Jets on Friday.
“I think you have to show confidence if they’re able to rebound,” Trotz said. “But I think it falls on the player too … can you rebound?”
It’s easy to throw a goalie under the bus when an opposing team gains an early lead, especially when the numbers are as ugly as Hutton’s have been lately. The most glaring numbers come from last night – three goals allowed on eight shots before he was yanked – but his overall numbers aren’t great, either.
Even so, Trotz lauded his character in a “trying circumstance.”
Decide for yourself if Hutton, 27, was mostly to blame for the goals he allowed last night:
He’ll get a chance to redeem himself – and show that he can rebound – against the New Jersey Devils tonight.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)