Nov 10, 2013, 5:50 PM EST
For better or worse, it seems like the Nashville Predators are sticking with Carter Hutton until Pekka Rinne shakes off his frightening hip infection. Head coach Barry Trotz decided to give him the vote of confidence by starting him on Sunday despite the fact that he only lasted about eight and a half minutes against the Winnipeg Jets on Friday.
“I think you have to show confidence if they’re able to rebound,” Trotz said. “But I think it falls on the player too … can you rebound?”
It’s easy to throw a goalie under the bus when an opposing team gains an early lead, especially when the numbers are as ugly as Hutton’s have been lately. The most glaring numbers come from last night – three goals allowed on eight shots before he was yanked – but his overall numbers aren’t great, either.
Even so, Trotz lauded his character in a “trying circumstance.”
Decide for yourself if Hutton, 27, was mostly to blame for the goals he allowed last night:
He’ll get a chance to redeem himself – and show that he can rebound – against the New Jersey Devils tonight.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)