Nov 10, 2013, 5:50 PM EST
For better or worse, it seems like the Nashville Predators are sticking with Carter Hutton until Pekka Rinne shakes off his frightening hip infection. Head coach Barry Trotz decided to give him the vote of confidence by starting him on Sunday despite the fact that he only lasted about eight and a half minutes against the Winnipeg Jets on Friday.
“I think you have to show confidence if they’re able to rebound,” Trotz said. “But I think it falls on the player too … can you rebound?”
It’s easy to throw a goalie under the bus when an opposing team gains an early lead, especially when the numbers are as ugly as Hutton’s have been lately. The most glaring numbers come from last night – three goals allowed on eight shots before he was yanked – but his overall numbers aren’t great, either.
Even so, Trotz lauded his character in a “trying circumstance.”
Decide for yourself if Hutton, 27, was mostly to blame for the goals he allowed last night:
He’ll get a chance to redeem himself – and show that he can rebound – against the New Jersey Devils tonight.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)