Nov 10, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
For better or worse, it seems like the Nashville Predators are sticking with Carter Hutton until Pekka Rinne shakes off his frightening hip infection. Head coach Barry Trotz decided to give him the vote of confidence by starting him on Sunday despite the fact that he only lasted about eight and a half minutes against the Winnipeg Jets on Friday.
“I think you have to show confidence if they’re able to rebound,” Trotz said. “But I think it falls on the player too … can you rebound?”
It’s easy to throw a goalie under the bus when an opposing team gains an early lead, especially when the numbers are as ugly as Hutton’s have been lately. The most glaring numbers come from last night – three goals allowed on eight shots before he was yanked – but his overall numbers aren’t great, either.
Even so, Trotz lauded his character in a “trying circumstance.”
Decide for yourself if Hutton, 27, was mostly to blame for the goals he allowed last night:
He’ll get a chance to redeem himself – and show that he can rebound – against the New Jersey Devils tonight.
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 9
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 10
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)