Nov 10, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
The match penalty Edmonton Oilers defenseman Anton Belov was assessed during Saturday’s loss to the Philadelphia Flyers is no more.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports the NHL has rescinded the penalty after reviewing the play in which Belov was sent off for a head shot to Flyers captain Claude Giroux. On replay, it appeared Belov hit Giroux shoulder-to-shoulder and according to Matheson that’s just how the league saw it as well.
While Belov was assessed a major penalty for the hit, he will not be suspended because of it. In case you missed it yesterday, here’s video of the play courtesy of CSN Philly.
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 4
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 11
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 7
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)