Nov 10, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
The match penalty Edmonton Oilers defenseman Anton Belov was assessed during Saturday’s loss to the Philadelphia Flyers is no more.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports the NHL has rescinded the penalty after reviewing the play in which Belov was sent off for a head shot to Flyers captain Claude Giroux. On replay, it appeared Belov hit Giroux shoulder-to-shoulder and according to Matheson that’s just how the league saw it as well.
While Belov was assessed a major penalty for the hit, he will not be suspended because of it. In case you missed it yesterday, here’s video of the play courtesy of CSN Philly.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 0
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 47
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 22
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)