Nov 10, 2013, 4:54 PM EDT
The match penalty Edmonton Oilers defenseman Anton Belov was assessed during Saturday’s loss to the Philadelphia Flyers is no more.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports the NHL has rescinded the penalty after reviewing the play in which Belov was sent off for a head shot to Flyers captain Claude Giroux. On replay, it appeared Belov hit Giroux shoulder-to-shoulder and according to Matheson that’s just how the league saw it as well.
While Belov was assessed a major penalty for the hit, he will not be suspended because of it. In case you missed it yesterday, here’s video of the play courtesy of CSN Philly.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 39
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)