Nov 10, 2013, 4:54 PM EST
The match penalty Edmonton Oilers defenseman Anton Belov was assessed during Saturday’s loss to the Philadelphia Flyers is no more.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports the NHL has rescinded the penalty after reviewing the play in which Belov was sent off for a head shot to Flyers captain Claude Giroux. On replay, it appeared Belov hit Giroux shoulder-to-shoulder and according to Matheson that’s just how the league saw it as well.
While Belov was assessed a major penalty for the hit, he will not be suspended because of it. In case you missed it yesterday, here’s video of the play courtesy of CSN Philly.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 56
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 17
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 34
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 51
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 67
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (169)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)