Nov 10, 2013, 4:54 PM EST
The match penalty Edmonton Oilers defenseman Anton Belov was assessed during Saturday’s loss to the Philadelphia Flyers is no more.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal reports the NHL has rescinded the penalty after reviewing the play in which Belov was sent off for a head shot to Flyers captain Claude Giroux. On replay, it appeared Belov hit Giroux shoulder-to-shoulder and according to Matheson that’s just how the league saw it as well.
While Belov was assessed a major penalty for the hit, he will not be suspended because of it. In case you missed it yesterday, here’s video of the play courtesy of CSN Philly.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 22
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11