Nov 10, 2013, 12:54 AM EST
Almost everything that could wrong did in the case of the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday. Conversely, the L.A. Kings solved Roberto Luongo early and often, on their way to a blowout 5-1 victory.
Luongo was pulled in the second period, after allowing four goals on 18 shots. The Kings scored three times in two minutes and 33 seconds to increase their lead from one goal to four, ending Luongo’s night.
“I don’t think he was sharp, but he’s played very well for us,” said Canucks head coach John Tortorella of the decision to pull Luongo.
“But more to my mind, when the fourth one goes in, Eddie hasn’t played, he’s going to play tomorrow and it gave him some time.”
They each had just two shifts in the final 20 minutes of play.
At the other end, Jonathan Quick was spectacular.
The Canucks had several chances in the first period, including a point-blank opportunity for Alex Burrows, but couldn’t beat Quick.
The Canucks finish off their four-game road trip through the Pacific Division on Sunday, when they face the Anaheim Ducks.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)