Nov 10, 2013, 12:54 AM EDT
Almost everything that could wrong did in the case of the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday. Conversely, the L.A. Kings solved Roberto Luongo early and often, on their way to a blowout 5-1 victory.
Luongo was pulled in the second period, after allowing four goals on 18 shots. The Kings scored three times in two minutes and 33 seconds to increase their lead from one goal to four, ending Luongo’s night.
“I don’t think he was sharp, but he’s played very well for us,” said Canucks head coach John Tortorella of the decision to pull Luongo.
“But more to my mind, when the fourth one goes in, Eddie hasn’t played, he’s going to play tomorrow and it gave him some time.”
They each had just two shifts in the final 20 minutes of play.
At the other end, Jonathan Quick was spectacular.
The Canucks had several chances in the first period, including a point-blank opportunity for Alex Burrows, but couldn’t beat Quick.
The Canucks finish off their four-game road trip through the Pacific Division on Sunday, when they face the Anaheim Ducks.
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 9
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)