Nov 10, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
New York Islanders defenseman Andrew MacDonald is one of the team’s quietest top players. He’s also a guy who will need a new contract once this season is through and considering his current deal is worth $550,000 against the salary cap, he’s due for a big raise.
According to Arthur Staple of New York Newsday, however, MacDonald and the Isles haven’t started talking about a new contract yet. This season, he’s been a workhorse for the Isles with a goal and five assists as well as the highest average time on ice per game on the team (26:46). He’s slated to become an unrestricted free agent over the summer.
Getting an extension worked out shouldn’t be too tricky. The Isles have a lot of salary cap space already, and with the cap set to rise next year and beyond, they’ll have even more room to work with. MacDonald is going to get a significant raise, the only question is if he wants to test the free agent waters to see if he can really break the bank.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)