Nov 10, 2013, 6:33 PM EDT
Calgary Flames winger Lee Stempniak participated in his first full team practice on Sunday, leaving the 30-year-old optimistic enough to think he could even play against the San Jose Sharks on Tuesday.
“It’s up to the coaches and the medical staff,” Stempniak said. “Every day it’s been getting better but a lot of it depends on how it responds the next morning, make sure it doesn’t swell and make sure it feels good. I’ll wake up and re-assess tomorrow morning.”
It would require clearance from the team’s medical staff, however.
Stempniak has had a sneaky-good start to the season, scoring nine points in 10 games. Aaron Vickers of the Flames’ Web site points out that Calgary’s gone 2-5-0 since he’s been on the shelf.
The veteran forward is in a contract year, so he has plenty to gain in sustaining this hot start, even if that injury could make that challenging.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 6
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)