Nov 10, 2013, 10:53 AM EST
The Washington Capitals have made a living off their power play since Adam Oates took over as coach. What you may have missed out on is how their penalty kill is also getting things done in a big way.
The great play of the Caps special teams was pointed out by Chelsea Janes of The Washington Post and the players are happy to have it be a strong point.
“I think if I was a coach, I’d rather have a dominant penalty kill,” Brooks Laich said. “I think if you don’t give up goals, it makes it really difficult for the other team.
“That being said,” he added, “I think if our power play gets a goal seven seconds in, that’s pretty lethal, too. We’re lucky to have both.”
Washington’s power play is tops in the league scoring at a 28.2 percent clip, nearly five percent better than second place Minnesota. The penalty kill is second-best in the league at 88.2 percent, trailing only Vancouver. The only thing their PK doesn’t have yet is a shorthanded goal.
Getting the 5-on-5 play squared away will help the Capitals take that next step, but for now they’ll take the special teams success and run with it.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 9
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 12
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)