Nov 10, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals have made a living off their power play since Adam Oates took over as coach. What you may have missed out on is how their penalty kill is also getting things done in a big way.
The great play of the Caps special teams was pointed out by Chelsea Janes of The Washington Post and the players are happy to have it be a strong point.
“I think if I was a coach, I’d rather have a dominant penalty kill,” Brooks Laich said. “I think if you don’t give up goals, it makes it really difficult for the other team.
“That being said,” he added, “I think if our power play gets a goal seven seconds in, that’s pretty lethal, too. We’re lucky to have both.”
Washington’s power play is tops in the league scoring at a 28.2 percent clip, nearly five percent better than second place Minnesota. The penalty kill is second-best in the league at 88.2 percent, trailing only Vancouver. The only thing their PK doesn’t have yet is a shorthanded goal.
Getting the 5-on-5 play squared away will help the Capitals take that next step, but for now they’ll take the special teams success and run with it.
- Hurricanes say Jordan Staal broke a bone in his right leg 2
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)