Nov 10, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals have made a living off their power play since Adam Oates took over as coach. What you may have missed out on is how their penalty kill is also getting things done in a big way.
The great play of the Caps special teams was pointed out by Chelsea Janes of The Washington Post and the players are happy to have it be a strong point.
“I think if I was a coach, I’d rather have a dominant penalty kill,” Brooks Laich said. “I think if you don’t give up goals, it makes it really difficult for the other team.
“That being said,” he added, “I think if our power play gets a goal seven seconds in, that’s pretty lethal, too. We’re lucky to have both.”
Washington’s power play is tops in the league scoring at a 28.2 percent clip, nearly five percent better than second place Minnesota. The penalty kill is second-best in the league at 88.2 percent, trailing only Vancouver. The only thing their PK doesn’t have yet is a shorthanded goal.
Getting the 5-on-5 play squared away will help the Capitals take that next step, but for now they’ll take the special teams success and run with it.
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 0
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 1
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 27
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)