Nov 10, 2013, 10:53 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals have made a living off their power play since Adam Oates took over as coach. What you may have missed out on is how their penalty kill is also getting things done in a big way.
The great play of the Caps special teams was pointed out by Chelsea Janes of The Washington Post and the players are happy to have it be a strong point.
“I think if I was a coach, I’d rather have a dominant penalty kill,” Brooks Laich said. “I think if you don’t give up goals, it makes it really difficult for the other team.
“That being said,” he added, “I think if our power play gets a goal seven seconds in, that’s pretty lethal, too. We’re lucky to have both.”
Washington’s power play is tops in the league scoring at a 28.2 percent clip, nearly five percent better than second place Minnesota. The penalty kill is second-best in the league at 88.2 percent, trailing only Vancouver. The only thing their PK doesn’t have yet is a shorthanded goal.
Getting the 5-on-5 play squared away will help the Capitals take that next step, but for now they’ll take the special teams success and run with it.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)