Nov 10, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov’s return to the NHL will start first in the AHL with the Oklahoma City Barons before heading to Edmonton to join the Oilers, but his mind is still on what happened in Philadelphia.
Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun spoke with Bryzgalov to find out why he signed there and what his motivation is. He also spoke about his tumultuous time with the Flyers.
“You do more learning from the tough times you’ve been through. When times are difficult it forces you to think and do things you’ve never done. I learned a lot from these two years in Philly.”
So what happened in Philadelphia?
“I just can tell you when the time right. I will write the book. You can read it then.”
He’s likely joking around, but I think we’d all put a pre-order down for this book right now. Who wouldn’t want to read A Spaceman in Philadelphia: The Ilya Bryzgalov Story?
Bryzgalov says he’ll need a week in Oklahoma City to get in shape and to face shots to prepare for his return to the NHL. He says he’ll need a couple of games to be ready. For a guy that’s had plenty of time off since being bought out by the Flyers this summer, that’s a quick turnaround time.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 9
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)