Nov 10, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov’s return to the NHL will start first in the AHL with the Oklahoma City Barons before heading to Edmonton to join the Oilers, but his mind is still on what happened in Philadelphia.
Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun spoke with Bryzgalov to find out why he signed there and what his motivation is. He also spoke about his tumultuous time with the Flyers.
“You do more learning from the tough times you’ve been through. When times are difficult it forces you to think and do things you’ve never done. I learned a lot from these two years in Philly.”
So what happened in Philadelphia?
“I just can tell you when the time right. I will write the book. You can read it then.”
He’s likely joking around, but I think we’d all put a pre-order down for this book right now. Who wouldn’t want to read A Spaceman in Philadelphia: The Ilya Bryzgalov Story?
Bryzgalov says he’ll need a week in Oklahoma City to get in shape and to face shots to prepare for his return to the NHL. He says he’ll need a couple of games to be ready. For a guy that’s had plenty of time off since being bought out by the Flyers this summer, that’s a quick turnaround time.
- Playoff race update: Jets smash Stars, muddy West picture 5
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 21
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 6
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 9
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 18
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 3
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)