Nov 10, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov’s return to the NHL will start first in the AHL with the Oklahoma City Barons before heading to Edmonton to join the Oilers, but his mind is still on what happened in Philadelphia.
Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun spoke with Bryzgalov to find out why he signed there and what his motivation is. He also spoke about his tumultuous time with the Flyers.
“You do more learning from the tough times you’ve been through. When times are difficult it forces you to think and do things you’ve never done. I learned a lot from these two years in Philly.”
So what happened in Philadelphia?
“I just can tell you when the time right. I will write the book. You can read it then.”
He’s likely joking around, but I think we’d all put a pre-order down for this book right now. Who wouldn’t want to read A Spaceman in Philadelphia: The Ilya Bryzgalov Story?
Bryzgalov says he’ll need a week in Oklahoma City to get in shape and to face shots to prepare for his return to the NHL. He says he’ll need a couple of games to be ready. For a guy that’s had plenty of time off since being bought out by the Flyers this summer, that’s a quick turnaround time.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)