Nov 10, 2013, 1:14 PM EDT
Ilya Bryzgalov’s return to the NHL will start first in the AHL with the Oklahoma City Barons before heading to Edmonton to join the Oilers, but his mind is still on what happened in Philadelphia.
Terry Jones of the Edmonton Sun spoke with Bryzgalov to find out why he signed there and what his motivation is. He also spoke about his tumultuous time with the Flyers.
“You do more learning from the tough times you’ve been through. When times are difficult it forces you to think and do things you’ve never done. I learned a lot from these two years in Philly.”
So what happened in Philadelphia?
“I just can tell you when the time right. I will write the book. You can read it then.”
He’s likely joking around, but I think we’d all put a pre-order down for this book right now. Who wouldn’t want to read A Spaceman in Philadelphia: The Ilya Bryzgalov Story?
Bryzgalov says he’ll need a week in Oklahoma City to get in shape and to face shots to prepare for his return to the NHL. He says he’ll need a couple of games to be ready. For a guy that’s had plenty of time off since being bought out by the Flyers this summer, that’s a quick turnaround time.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)