Nov 9, 2013, 4:44 PM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers’ 4-2 win against the Edmonton Oilers wasn’t without some controversy.
At 7:59 of the third period with the Flyers holding a 2-1 lead, Oilers defenseman Anton Belov was issued a match penalty for delivering a blow to the head of Flyers captain Claude Giroux. While Giroux was uninjured on the play, Belov was sent off.
The catch here is it didn’t appear Belov made any contact with Giroux’s head. Check out the video here courtesy of CSN-Philly.
It appears Belov hits Giroux shoulder-to-shoulder and his head only flies back because of the force from the hit. Making matters worse for Edmonton, Giroux scored his first goal of the season a little over three minutes later while the teams were skating 4-on-4.
A match penalty means an automatic one-game suspension, pending league review. You’d have to think the league will wind up rescinding the penalty.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 32
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 44
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (45)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)