Nov 9, 2013, 1:35 AM EDT
It can seem odd for trades within a division, not to mention a deal involving two long-standing adversaries.
On Friday, the Edmonton Oilers sent defenseman Ladislav Smid to their famed Battle of Alberta rivals, the Calgary Flames. The first meeting between these two teams following the trade is on Nov. 16. So, Smid won’t have to wait long to face his old teammates.
Should be an interesting experience, considering this was his eighth season with the Oilers.
“It’s weird. You look at the Battle of Alberta and there’s hatred for the other team but now I’m on the other side,” Smid told the Oilers’ website following the trade.
“I guess I have to change my mindset and now I am part of the Calgary Flames so I am going to enjoy the Battle of Alberta. It’s always fun, the fans are always into it and now I’m with Calgary.
“Hopefully we can win as many Battle of Albertas as we can.”
Smid, 27, was in the first year of a brand new four-year, $14 million contract extension he signed with the Oilers back in April.
Smid’s new team, the Flames, lost to the Colorado Avalanche by a final score of 4-2 on Friday.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)