Nov 9, 2013, 1:35 AM EDT
It can seem odd for trades within a division, not to mention a deal involving two long-standing adversaries.
On Friday, the Edmonton Oilers sent defenseman Ladislav Smid to their famed Battle of Alberta rivals, the Calgary Flames. The first meeting between these two teams following the trade is on Nov. 16. So, Smid won’t have to wait long to face his old teammates.
Should be an interesting experience, considering this was his eighth season with the Oilers.
“It’s weird. You look at the Battle of Alberta and there’s hatred for the other team but now I’m on the other side,” Smid told the Oilers’ website following the trade.
“I guess I have to change my mindset and now I am part of the Calgary Flames so I am going to enjoy the Battle of Alberta. It’s always fun, the fans are always into it and now I’m with Calgary.
“Hopefully we can win as many Battle of Albertas as we can.”
Smid, 27, was in the first year of a brand new four-year, $14 million contract extension he signed with the Oilers back in April.
Smid’s new team, the Flames, lost to the Colorado Avalanche by a final score of 4-2 on Friday.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 27
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 5
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)