Nov 9, 2013, 1:35 AM EDT
It can seem odd for trades within a division, not to mention a deal involving two long-standing adversaries.
On Friday, the Edmonton Oilers sent defenseman Ladislav Smid to their famed Battle of Alberta rivals, the Calgary Flames. The first meeting between these two teams following the trade is on Nov. 16. So, Smid won’t have to wait long to face his old teammates.
Should be an interesting experience, considering this was his eighth season with the Oilers.
“It’s weird. You look at the Battle of Alberta and there’s hatred for the other team but now I’m on the other side,” Smid told the Oilers’ website following the trade.
“I guess I have to change my mindset and now I am part of the Calgary Flames so I am going to enjoy the Battle of Alberta. It’s always fun, the fans are always into it and now I’m with Calgary.
“Hopefully we can win as many Battle of Albertas as we can.”
Smid, 27, was in the first year of a brand new four-year, $14 million contract extension he signed with the Oilers back in April.
Smid’s new team, the Flames, lost to the Colorado Avalanche by a final score of 4-2 on Friday.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)