Nov 9, 2013, 1:35 AM EDT
It can seem odd for trades within a division, not to mention a deal involving two long-standing adversaries.
On Friday, the Edmonton Oilers sent defenseman Ladislav Smid to their famed Battle of Alberta rivals, the Calgary Flames. The first meeting between these two teams following the trade is on Nov. 16. So, Smid won’t have to wait long to face his old teammates.
Should be an interesting experience, considering this was his eighth season with the Oilers.
“It’s weird. You look at the Battle of Alberta and there’s hatred for the other team but now I’m on the other side,” Smid told the Oilers’ website following the trade.
“I guess I have to change my mindset and now I am part of the Calgary Flames so I am going to enjoy the Battle of Alberta. It’s always fun, the fans are always into it and now I’m with Calgary.
“Hopefully we can win as many Battle of Albertas as we can.”
Smid, 27, was in the first year of a brand new four-year, $14 million contract extension he signed with the Oilers back in April.
Smid’s new team, the Flames, lost to the Colorado Avalanche by a final score of 4-2 on Friday.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)