Nov 9, 2013, 1:35 AM EST
It can seem odd for trades within a division, not to mention a deal involving two long-standing adversaries.
On Friday, the Edmonton Oilers sent defenseman Ladislav Smid to their famed Battle of Alberta rivals, the Calgary Flames. The first meeting between these two teams following the trade is on Nov. 16. So, Smid won’t have to wait long to face his old teammates.
Should be an interesting experience, considering this was his eighth season with the Oilers.
“It’s weird. You look at the Battle of Alberta and there’s hatred for the other team but now I’m on the other side,” Smid told the Oilers’ website following the trade.
“I guess I have to change my mindset and now I am part of the Calgary Flames so I am going to enjoy the Battle of Alberta. It’s always fun, the fans are always into it and now I’m with Calgary.
“Hopefully we can win as many Battle of Albertas as we can.”
Smid, 27, was in the first year of a brand new four-year, $14 million contract extension he signed with the Oilers back in April.
Smid’s new team, the Flames, lost to the Colorado Avalanche by a final score of 4-2 on Friday.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)