Nov 9, 2013, 11:50 PM EDT
Strange thing happened Saturday: Claude Giroux scored. A goal. Yeah. It finally happened.
It was the first of the season for the talented center, despite this being his 16th game. It counted as the game winner, too, as the Flyers downed the struggling Edmonton Oilers.
Perhaps this will be the slump-buster. His teammates knew how important a goal it was for Giroux, who many believed to be in the running for Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team.
“The bench was really happy, guys were all pumped up, he had a big smile on his face. A guy like him isn’t going to be scoreless very often, and to get one like that, a nice goal like that we needed was big.
“So I’d expect him to start rolling now.”
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 48
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 28
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25