Nov 9, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
The two will face each other Saturday night in Glendale with Ovechkin perhaps benefiting from some advice imparted to him by Ribeiro last season as he told Tyson Nash on the Coyotes’ website.
“I actually told him to stop shooting high and try to go 5-hole a few times,” Ribeiro said. “And he started shooting 5-hole. The thing there is that a lot of people are scared to talk to him because he’s such a big [star] and I don’t really care. I was just telling him what I thought and it helped him to change a bit, to give different looks to goalies.”
The advice helped Ovechkin turn his season around into an MVP-winning one as the Capitals turned things around to win the Southeast Division.
As for playing against his former team, Chuck Gormley of CSNWashington.com says the Capitals will be ready for what Ribeiro has in store for them in their game tonight.
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 1
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 8
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 14
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9