Nov 9, 2013, 11:29 AM EST
For New York Rangers and Carolina Hurricanes fans, today’s morning skates provided plenty of optimism.
Rangers forward Rick Nash skated with the goalies today and while that won’t help narrow down when he may come back from his concussion, it’s a positive sign nonetheless. The two-time 40-goal scorer has played in just three games this season and was hurt against the San Jose Sharks on October 8.
The Rangers offense has bounced back in recent games, but going without Nash isn’t a good plan in the long run. Concussion recovery takes time, something GM Glen Sather knows all about.
“Obviously he’s on the road to recovery,” Sather said. “He wouldn’t be skating. He still has a ways to go.”
In Carolina, goalie Cam Ward was on the ice for the first time since going out of action with a lower-body injury.
Ward took shots and got a light test to see where he was at in his recovery. The Hurricanes have won two games in a row, but are without both Ward and his backup Anton Khudobin. Justin Peters has been leading the way in goal with both of them out of action.
Carolina coach Kirk Muller says Ward could rejoin the team at practice next week.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)