Nov 9, 2013, 11:29 AM EDT
For New York Rangers and Carolina Hurricanes fans, today’s morning skates provided plenty of optimism.
Rangers forward Rick Nash skated with the goalies today and while that won’t help narrow down when he may come back from his concussion, it’s a positive sign nonetheless. The two-time 40-goal scorer has played in just three games this season and was hurt against the San Jose Sharks on October 8.
The Rangers offense has bounced back in recent games, but going without Nash isn’t a good plan in the long run. Concussion recovery takes time, something GM Glen Sather knows all about.
“Obviously he’s on the road to recovery,” Sather said. “He wouldn’t be skating. He still has a ways to go.”
In Carolina, goalie Cam Ward was on the ice for the first time since going out of action with a lower-body injury.
Ward took shots and got a light test to see where he was at in his recovery. The Hurricanes have won two games in a row, but are without both Ward and his backup Anton Khudobin. Justin Peters has been leading the way in goal with both of them out of action.
Carolina coach Kirk Muller says Ward could rejoin the team at practice next week.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)