Nov 8, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Detroit will be down a pair of forwards on Saturday against the Lightning.
The 2013-14 campaign has not been kind to either skater. Franzen has just two goals through 13 games and is a minus-2 on the year while Weiss, signed to a $24.5 million deal this summer in the hopes of becoming the team’s No. 2 center, has just one assist in 17 games and was recently demoted to third-line duty.
Speaking of the club’s No. 2 center gig, the guy that left the void — Valterri Filppula — will make his return to Detroit on Saturday as a member of the Lightning.
Filppula inked a five-year, $25 million deal with the Bolts in July and has been very good for Tampa this year, scoring 12 points in his first 15 games while averaging nearly 19 minutes a night.
The Wings have recalled Luke Glendening from AHL Grand Rapids.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)