Nov 8, 2013, 1:38 PM EST
Detroit will be down a pair of forwards on Saturday against the Lightning.
The 2013-14 campaign has not been kind to either skater. Franzen has just two goals through 13 games and is a minus-2 on the year while Weiss, signed to a $24.5 million deal this summer in the hopes of becoming the team’s No. 2 center, has just one assist in 17 games and was recently demoted to third-line duty.
Speaking of the club’s No. 2 center gig, the guy that left the void — Valterri Filppula — will make his return to Detroit on Saturday as a member of the Lightning.
Filppula inked a five-year, $25 million deal with the Bolts in July and has been very good for Tampa this year, scoring 12 points in his first 15 games while averaging nearly 19 minutes a night.
The Wings have recalled Luke Glendening from AHL Grand Rapids.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (67)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)